Options

Windows 10 Help

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I decided to do the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and got my MBR hosed for my trouble. I am guessing it was caused by having a dual boot of 8.1 Pro and 8.1 Enterprise. I booted off Linux to back up my data and removed the hard drive with 8.1 Enterprise. Now how do I do the upgrade? Do I have to reinstall 8.1 Pro all over again? Or is there a way to bypass that? I tried to do a repair but it said my hard drive was locked and to unlock it, that was new. Its an A-DATA 240GB SSD.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have the Windows 10 license key? If so, I would download the appropriate ISO from Microsoft and do a clean install.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    No key, it never got that far.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Are you using the 'free' upgrade? If so, I believe your Win8 license key is what is going to move you into Win10. Not 100% as I have not bothered to do the install (did the download) but I believe you need to reinstall win8.1 and then run the upgrade again....however, I was able to download the full media, so if you did the full media, you may be able to install a clean Win 10, but just need your win8 key.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had this huge long conversation with my coworkers today about this and Google'd the hell out of this.

From what I can tell, unless you purchase a key, you have to go the long route and install 7, 8, or 8.1 then upgrade. Supposedly the keys you get for Windows 10 are all generic too, so not sure how we handle new hard drives after next year when it's no longer free.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    icon_jokercolor.gif bbbbb hahahahaha! Windows... 10...
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    So you are saying you had dual boot Windows 8.1. Which of those two did you try to upgrade from?
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    markulous wrote: »
    I had this huge long conversation with my coworkers today about this and Google'd the hell out of this.

From what I can tell, unless you purchase a key, you have to go the long route and install 7, 8, or 8.1 then upgrade. Supposedly the keys you get for Windows 10 are all generic too, so not sure how we handle new hard drives after next year when it's no longer free.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, pulled the Windows 10 key using "Produkey", and now I have a Windows 10 DVD I can clean install.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    xD Lucas wrote: »
    I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, pulled the Windows 10 key using "Produkey", and now I have a Windows 10 DVD I can clean install.

Have you done it yet? I use Produkey for a lot of things also, but I read that that program or Magical Jelly Bean just pulls a generic key.
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    Have you done it yet? I use Produkey for a lot of things also, but I read that that program or Magical Jelly Bean just pulls a generic key.

I've done a clean install of Windows 10 with the key. I read on another forum that Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8 in that it takes note of your hardware configuration, and the key isn't even required. I haven't read that anywhere else, but it's plausible.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I upgraded from the Preview version of Windows 10 to Windows 10 Professional final. I used Belarc Advisor to pull the key and did a clean install. Everything installed easily without any hitches.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    After a whole day of working with it I finally tracked the problem to an external usb drive. Not sure what it had to do with anything, but when I turned it off all was good.
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□

Microsoft has stated that the key for windows 10 is going to be cached in your physical hardware outside just your HDD. So unless you're replacing your motherboard, memory, and HDD you should probably be fine. There may also be a way to back it up like how you'd normally backup your system.
  • Options
    Ukimokia wrote: »
    Microsoft has stated that the key for windows 10 is going to be cached in your physical hardware outside just your HDD. So unless you're replacing your motherboard, memory, and HDD you should probably be fine. There may also be a way to back it up like how you'd normally backup your system.

Curious how exactly they do this. Stored on the CMOS?
  • Options
    Michael-Michael- Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Windows 10 handles keys differently. When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the process registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.

Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation"