Options

ICND 1 &2 or One CCNA Exam

cisco.senseicisco.sensei Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am curious about how you guys feel about splitting up the CCNA into two tests. It seems a lot of people are taking the two-exam approach, and I'm considering that.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went with the 2 exams and don't regret doing so. Psychologically it was easier to break the content into two halves and get a cert along the way.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with Koz, the two exam path made things easier for me psychologically. Plus getting the CCENT was a real morale booster.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies thus far. That makes sense, and I think it will be psychologically better for me as well. I have been reading Lammle in depth and about to finish up the ICND1 section, plan on tackling the labs of the ICDN1 section afterwards, so the thought of what exams I will be taking came across my mind. Any and all input is welcome!

koz24, do you state on your resume that you have a CCNA or the separate certifications?
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on how much knowledge you have, and how that's distributed across the exams. If you know enough to pass the CCNA, then take the CCNA in one test.

I would not recommend getting the CCENT just to be able to list it on your resume if you're planning on going further up. For instance, I have a CCIE R&S, along with a CCNP and CCNA R&S, but I don't list CCNA/CCNP/CCIE R&S on my resume, I just list the CCIE. And when I look at resumes of potential candidates and see something to the tune of "CCENT/CCNA/CCNP R&S", it strikes me as filler which isn't benefiting the content.

But that's just me, and others may feel different.
  • Options
    rjon17469 - Thanks for your input. Yeah I figured that it would be best to put the most valuable certification as well. I guess I'm just thinking how the ICDN1&2 should be presented on a resume: if you have both It looks like its safe to just put CCNA R&S.

My knowledge of CCNA is not incredible. I feel I have a general understanding of what's going on and get concepts. My weakest areas are details (types of STPS for example, and the differences between them) terminology, and need to brush up on the lab configurations.. I am an IT consultant who is practically help desk for 1 year and two months. I've been studying networking in school and self-studying most recently.. I think I would be more comfortable with two separate exams but would love to get it done in one exam if possible.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've always went for the combined exams when possible. You have to learn it all anyway and less trips to the testing center the less chances of failing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker050184 - That's a good point. I think after I get all the concept and information down from ICDN1, I will got through the labs to solidify all that information, then start going through ICDN2 and see how I feel from there..
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Failure isn't what should scare you, failure is what drives you to succeed. Embrace failure. If you work your butt off and leaving no stone unturned success will come your way: no pain, no gain.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Meh, I've never bought into that mindset. Embracing failure is just what people say after failing to make themselves feel better. Exam wise anyway. Kinda like the true beauty is on the inside thing. Everyone know's it's not true!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    It's fair to say I'm a little scared of failure, but ultimately, I obviously would like to obtain my CCNA as soon as possible, so I want to make sure I'm not wasting time is all.