How to get started in networking?

Sara-GSara-G Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
My boyfriend wants a job in networking and if I can id love to help him get there but neither of us really know where to start, I have been looking at online courses but most of them are a few thousand pounds so we cant afford to spend it if it will just end up being a worthless piece of paper that he cant do anything with but id happily pay for anything that will help him get a foot in the door and get a job in something he enjoys, even if its just a low paid trainee job he can work up from. He is capable of a lot of basic things, that I dont really understand, and is willing and able to learn more. He did a course after leaving school but he unfortunately, being young and stupid, got kicked out for getting into an argument with someone a few weeks before the exams. Whilst on the course he was doing "comp tia" and some other qualifications I cant remember the name and was getting the top marks in the class. He has no experience so it would be starting completely from scratch as far as anything to put on a c.v is concerned.
Thanks in advance for any advise!

Comments

• Sara-GSara-G Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    P.s we are in the UK
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My first suggestion would be having him sign up here. No matter how commited you are to helping him there's always the chance something important may get lost in transit.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I would recommend looking at the CCNA. I personally have not much networking experience however, once your head is round the concepts, it get's a lot easier.

This will require some dedication so tell him to stick at it. As the op said, get him to sign up here and he can look into the certs more carefully.

In addition to above, you really don't need to purchase a course imo. It maybe helpful, however if you sign up here you can ask all the questions you may have for no cost. I would recommend just buying some text books, looking at some CBTNugget videos and away you go.

I hope this helps.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Sara,

Does he currently work in IT or anything related out of interest?

Definitely worth checking out Network+ and/or CCENT then CCNA if he is serious about this. As others have said don't necessarily need the courses, but books and making a lab would be good moves. I say that as it's not always the easiest field to get into so needs commitment and if not in IT already then a helpdesk job or something similar to get a foot in the door always helps.
  • v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tell him to get his certs it will show employers he is committed to the field. I highly suggest for him to go back to school since it will be easier for him to get into jobs with a degree + certs.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Without any sort of schooling, I would suggest certification. He will need something to get his foot into the door. I echo having him sign up here. IT is not the easiest of fields to get into, it will definitely require some elbow grease.
  • piedthepiperpiedthepiper Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Network+ and CCENT/CCNA if he wants to get into networking.

There are really cheap bootcamp courses to get you up and running all over the UK. I remember I did a cheap 3 day CCNA basics course, it gave me enough to get my started and then I was on my way
  • Sara-GSara-G Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, I will tell him to sign up here :) We were in a car crash a bit back so I said when we get paid out we should use the money to get him some qualifications but it was only something we thought of yesturday so we are still just trying to work out the best option. I understand why it might look like im just being pushy and he isnt that botherd but I only posted because I was on night shift with nothing to do, he has been looking into it himself as well. If i didnt think he would be commited i wouldnt be willing to put my money into it lol. Its something he has wanted to do for a long time we have just never been in a possion to be able to fork out a few grand for it unfortunately.
    Can anyone recommend a good company to do the CCNA with? They are so many out there and they seem to vary wildly in price :/ and no he doesn't currently work in IT he is a delivery driver. Though he is like our landlords IT department because he always sorts out their computers lol (its only a small business with a total of 4 pc's) he must do an okay job because she always pays him well for it. Its not a proper job or anything though he doesnt exspect payment he just does it as a favour really but she always gives him something for doing it.
    Thanks a lot everyone :) I really appreciate it!
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Sara,

I also live in the UK (Jersey) and am currently studying for my CompTia N+, i would start with this first in IMO then move onto the CISCO courses. I also think it would be better to self-study as it's cheaper but if he learns better by being in a class environment then do that. I suggest getting the book from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Network-Guide-Sixth-N10-006/dp/0071848223/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1440358019&sr=8-8&keywords=CompTia I think this is the best book out there for studying your N+. Also Professor Messor has some great resources that you can use and which are completely free, he can be found here: Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses.

Best of look