Options

Work to much, to little pay for IT job Looking for a change of scene

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am in my IT operations position for 2 months and I don't feel like I am being paid enough for my current job duties. I barely get time to eat my lunch because the work keeps on piling up. And from what I have hears, it only gets worse from here on out. And sometimes I have to work on Saturdays (1 Saturday a month I have to work) I feel like I am trapped for a few reasons:

1. I need the money for rent
2. Health benefits are good
3. Other benefits I can't disclose because it could leek where I currently work
4. Need money for bills etc.

I am basically staying in my apartment for the weekends and not going anywhere or spending money other then for certification prep material/vouchers to get out of this position and move towards pen testing within my company or move somewhere else where the work doesn't pile up as fast. I want to move towards the pen testing team before **** hits the fan at this current position. I have work piled up like you wouldn't believe. End users constantly annoying me. Have uncompleted tasks and I really can't take it much anymore. Any ideas to move out? I really don't know how much more of this I can take!!

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why did you take the job in the first place if you don't like the pay? Why didn't you ask for more 2 months ago before you accepted the position?

If your department is understaffed/underpaid and you keep licking your plate clean by working extra then I am skeptical that management sees a problem.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're consistently coming up with uncompleted work I'd make sure you're keeping in communication with your co-workers/supervisors to help cover jobs you know you're not going to be able to complete. If everyone is just super busy then it's really just out of your control and I'd just focus on doing one job at a time and not try to worry too much about getting everything done, because you're just doing what you can.

On advice in getting out of there I'd again suggest talking to your supervisor to see if there are any opportunities for positions up and above.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stay where you are for 6 more months, then start sending out your resume.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....