Options

Military to Civilian - How marketable am I?

LMVenLMVen Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering what I can expect when moving over to the civilian sector in about a year and a half. I have 12 years network admin/technician experience, with a few years managing a work center of about 14 other technicians. I also have some security experience, an Associate's, and the following certs: Net+, Security+, CCNA, and CEH. No Bachelor's as of yet.

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Sounds like you are real marketable, I just secured a private sector job yesterday and I spent 30 years in the Army, so if you have your certs and you have the experience, I am sure somebody will hire you, I only convinced myself to go back to work about a year ago and only really got serious the last couple of months and finally got hired.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll be fine with those certs and experience. Especially if you have at least a Secret clearance.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    LMVenLMVen Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool, I was a bit worried that not having a BS would limit me quite a bit, especially in the non-military contracting world on the civilian side.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LMVen wrote: »
    Cool, I was a bit worried that not having a BS would limit me quite a bit, especially in the non-military contracting world on the civilian side.
    Well it still might. When people talk about having a clearance they are referring to a contract or federal position. All depends on the companies but in some situations having a degree is a requirement. Your experience will help but I would finish your degree ASAP because there is no question that it will hurt you at some point...more than likely later down the road than at first.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A BS could open more doors, but it's not a show stopper for technical positions. I've been in the field a little over 4 years and progressed from Desktop Tech to Network Security Engineer (job hopped a bit though) without a degree. If you want a management position, you'll definitely want a degree though.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I would finish your Bachelors as soon as possible. I am getting plenty of interest but I am still getting ruled out from a lot for not having that piece of paper. 2 more semesters icon_study.gif
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    You shouldn't have any trouble securing a job in the private sector especially with your experience. Just do what I did and find a hiring manager that was former military icon_thumright.gif. My military experience was definitely a plus during interviews even though I had a non technical MOS (Grunt).
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Use your tuition benefits and get a degree. Check out the stickies on WGU. You would likely transfer in a ton and could probably knock it out in a year or less.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???