Options

Why didn't my router settings save?

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
Firstly may I apologise that this seems such a newbie question, but as I begin to self-study for my CCNA this is the first time in my career I've ever accessed a Cisco IOS, so to that extent I am a newbie.

This is the output from a "show version" on the router I'm using. I'm not currently knowledgeable enough to understand why two versions of IOS are listed or what IOS I'm actually running - 12.4(6)T7 fc5 or 12.4(13r)T fc1. I'm also not yet familiar with the differences between the system image levels, but I'm sure I'll learn as I get more into this. I've included it just in case it has any relevence:

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Router uptime is 16 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-6.T7.bin"

I'm using Todd Lammle's book (and Google) as I look at Cisco IOS for the first time and try to get to grips with it. I configured a number of settings on my router, logging out and back in as I went to see changes take effect, some of which included setting the following:

> time and date
> secret password
> motd banner text
> hostname
>auxiliary password and logon requirement
> telnet password and logon requirement
> enabled ssh and configured a username and password
> encrypted all passwords

At the privileged mode prompt I typed router#copy run start at different stages and received no notifications to suggest any errors even after logging out and back in a few times, but then I then power cycled the router.

From the subject you'll already know where I'm going with this.... when the router came back on all the changes I'd made and thought I'd saved have been lost - hostname has reverted to standard, banner text is no longer displayed, and no password is required to enter privileged mode, so where have I gone wrong?

And why did it prompt "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:" after the restart when I'd already selected "n" last time and thought I'd configured the router?

Are these like computers when the bios battery is missing/dead so bios settings are lost every time power is disconnected? Could I have a physical fault with nvram? Does the router have/require a battery?

Thanks in advance. Garry.

Comments

• Options
    DeyColeDeyCole Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After making configuration changes, try copying the Running-config file (RAM) to the Startup-Config file (NVRAM). It should save your changes when the router is reloaded.

"Copy Running-Config Startup-Config"...is the command I believe.
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check the configuration register, ensure its set to boot from the nvram.

Use of the Configuration Register on All Cisco Routers - Cisco
  • Options
    DeyCole wrote: »
    After making configuration changes, try copying the Running-config file (RAM) to the Startup-Config file (NVRAM). It should save your changes when the router is reloaded.

"Copy Running-Config Startup-Config"...is the command I believe.

Thanks, but that's what I did. As far as I am aware the command can be shortened to "copy run start", but just to be sure I'll make a change and type the full command and see...
  • Options
    verbhertz wrote: »
    Check the configuration register, ensure its set to boot from the nvram.

Use of the Configuration Register on All Cisco Routers - Cisco

Well spotted verbhertz, it's set to "Configuration register is 0x2142" so I'll follow the instructions from the link and see how I get on.
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In addition to above, I believe 0x2102 is standard so run a show version and check for that. Other thoughts - are you using actual hardware or emulation/Simulator? I had issues with config changes being saved in GNS3.
  • Options
    verbhertz wrote: »
    In addition to above, I believe 0x2102 is standard so run a show version and check for that. Other thoughts - are you using actual hardware or emulation/Simulator? I had issues with config changes being saved in GNS3.

Physical hardware and yes, setting it to default (0x2102) has resolved the issue. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see this scenario in an exam question as to why all settings were lost following a power failure, so something I'll try to watch for when I connect to my other devices.