Options

Passed CISSP (8/22)

_ug_ug Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed the CISSP on my first attempt yesterday here in ATL, GA. Hoping I can pass along some nuggets from my experience, since the forums and info posted here helped me along my journey.

Background:

15 years in IT primarily Systems Engineering, Architecture in Web Security, Crypto, PKI and Directory Services.

Study time: (2 months)

- 1 week instructor-led GK CISSP training
- CBK training books with ISC2 flashcards
- Transcender CISSP 2015
- CCCURE Quizzer (Paid)
- Larry Greenblatt's 8 domains (Youtube)
- Olive Nutrition Security Videos (Youtube)
- CISSP Notes Study Prep Guide (cccure forum)

Methodology:

I've been dithering on whether to commit myself to going for the CISSP certification for sometime, not because I didn't think it was worth it but because I knew it would require a lot of time to get it done and it sure did.

I knew from the beginning my strong areas: Telecom, Crypto, Security Ops but knew I would be weak or need brushing up in others. So with that I didn't spend much time on my strong areas outside of maybe reading the chapters and getting familiarized with NIST, ISO or other Policy frameworks surrounding the technologies.

I started out with a 1 week GK class which consisted of 5 day / 8-9 hour classes going over the materials in the CBK guide. Before registering for the class I thought it would be your typical boot camp class - you'd study, cram and be ready for the exam right after and no no no that is surely not the case. As others have said there's no magic bullet on getting around reading the materials. Even with the class I had to read the CBK books from front to end. Instead of immediately scheduling my test right after the GK class I pushed it out two months to give myself some time to digest the material and prepare for the exam. So my schedule was 2-3 hours of studying daily including weekends. On weekends, I had more time so I would average 4-6 hours of re-reading materials, reviewing youtube channels and doing quizzers.

What really helped and I highly recommend you do this, is review Larry Greenblatt's 8 domain refresh on Youtube. Coming out of the GK class, I still didn't feel I quite grasped a lot of the Risk Management and Security Architecture material and a good friend of mine recommended Larry's video and after 15 minutes into the 1st video I was hooked. I reviewed all of Larry's videos and took notes while going through the vids. Larry's teaching style is great and it really put all of the ISC2, ISO, NIST terms in layman terms and he painted a vivid picture which made it easy to mindmap for studying.

Quizzers (Transcender -vs- CCCURE)

I see all through the forums where people have debated between the two, rather than pick between the two I bit the bullet and bought both. Hey, if you're going to shell out $600 USD for the exam you shouldn't skimp out on preparing for it. My methods were slightly different than others. I really didn't go into using the test bank questions as a litmus test for preparedness - I chose to focus on the content and logic of the questions and answers rather than how much % I scored. I really don't think I even took a timed exam with either test bank. My routine would be to go through 200-300 questions at a time focused specifically on my weak areas. Not until the last week did I open up my selection to the other areas I felt I was already strong in. This may not be good for everyone but after taking the test there wasn't one question in either test bank that was on the exam, so it's important to comprehend the logic rather than trying to memorize a Q/A. Just my opinion.

Test day

Test started at 8AM - I arrived at 7:25. Had time to review some last minute notes from Larry G's videos and also review some CBK material. The day before the test I shut down early rather than staying up all night studying. I finally told myself if you don't know it by now than late night studying won't help you, better to get rest and refresh in the AM.

Started the test and about 75 questions in I was really doubting myself. The questions were not necessarily hard but required me to get in the mindset. After question 125 I took my 1st break - I stepped away for 15 minutes and had to motivate myself. I honestly thought I was failing but I kept thinking I'm at the halfway point and there still may be a chance to pass. So I went in and from Q126-200 I started to feel good with my questions and responses. I took another break at Q200, walked away for 5 minutes and came back to finish the last 50 questions.

So, at this time I was done (4hrs 30 minutes elapsed). I shook off the nerves and started again at Q1 for review. Side note - others like to flag for review and if I were under a time crunch I would have done the same. I had a mental clock in my head and when I hit Q125 I was there an hour earlier than I expected which I knew I could afford to go back later to review.

Going through all the questions the 2nd time, I re-read the questions and I actually updated about 10 of them after review. About 200 questions into the 2nd review I was more confident than before that I had passed the exam but still a little anxious.

At the end of the exam, I finished and waited for a response on the screen got a "congratulations" you "finished" the exam ?!?!?.icon_rolleyes.gif

Still on pins and needles I went and checked out. I was told to pick up my results at the front desk. Checked ID. Printed up two pieces of paper? I was sure then that I failed but to my surprise was another "Congratulations" but this time the one I wanted to see. :D

My suggestion to my peers is to study, there's not substitution for reading and comprehending the material. And as for the test banks, I would say to focus on the logic and why your answers are incorrect. I think that helped me more than anything with getting out of the "what I would do in this situation" scenario to "what a CISSP would recommend to do" mindset. Know the material - don't stress the percentage.

Good luck all.

UG

Comments

• Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Many thanks for providing description of your study materials.
  • Options
    JrRiskMJrRiskM Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Michael-Michael- Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats..!!!!
  • Options
    @bh!4u@bh!4u Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats !! Looking forward to the Larry Greenblatt's videos which aided you.
  • Options
    cybersec.spacecybersec.space Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and I wondered the same when the on-screen message was "Congratulations, your finished your examiniation"

I wonder what it says if you actually fail, not gonna try it out though :)
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • Options
    arunm17arunm17 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations! very comprehensive explanation & methodology to understand the materials. This is good advice!
  • Options
    PIppi3PIppi3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Many thanks for your methodology!
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great write up and BIG Congrats.
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

Very nice write up
  • Options
    freedom777freedom777 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! and thanks for sharing your strategy.
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and suspenseful write-up. ;) Even with the post's title, I was on the edge of my seat, reading your story of exam day and two(!) pieces of paper.

Seems like I've read a few others lately that also received two pieces of paper, thought it was bad news, and discovered they passed. :)