Options

Resume critique.

james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm looking for critiques on my resume to improve it. Trying to get a Network Engineer / Admin position. Any suggestions would be great.

Education & Certifications
Associates of Science in Network Systems Administration
DeVry University– Columbus, Ohio 2013
Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
Qualifications
· Cisco swithching knowledge: Configuration of VLAN’s, trunking, inter-Vlan routing, port security, access-maps, configuration of routing protocols like OSPF and EIGRP on a layer three switch
· Cisco routing knowledge: Configuration of routing protocols like RIP, OSPF, and EIGRP, some knowledge of configurations of IBGP and EBGP, redistribution between routing protocols and the use of route-maps and tags for shaping route redistribution between protocols, as well as identifying routing loops caused by redistribution. Configuration of sub-interfaces for router on a stick / SVI’s on a layer 3 switch for inter-vlan routing, and frame relay P2P and multipoint networks in addition to knowledge of configuring a frame relay connection. Able to use standard, extended, and named ACL’s for traffic shaping, as well as using ACL’s for configuration of NAT / PAT. Firm understanding of how to troubleshoot issues with OSPF and EIGRP, such as adjacency issues, and lack of route advertisements. Knowledge of the use of route-maps for policy based routing, all on Cisco hardware.
· Use of a home lab consisting of three Cisco 2851 series, two Cisco 3550 series switches with EMI for layer three functionality , two Cisco 2960 series switches, two Cisco 2691 routers, with one configured as an access server, one Cisco 2651XM router configured as a frame relay switch, to learn more about how a network functions under real conditions
· Networking skills such as, troubleshooting network connectivity issues with tools like a fluke, and Wireshark, operating system issues with both Windows and MAC OSX, subnetting IPv4 and IPv6, knowledge on how cable and fiber-optic internet are delivered from ISP's
· Experience with Windows Server 2008 and 2012 Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Print servers through a mix of home lab and through enterprise support in a live production network
· Knowledge of QIP and Microsoft DHCP server to configure DHCP dynamic and static / manual entries in DHCP
· Experience with SCCM and adding and removing devices to application collections

IT Work Experience
TekSystems / OhioHealth 2014 – 2015 / Current
· Troubleshooting network connectivity for devices after they are installed, can include up to patching a network drop in a Telecoms room and configuring the connected cisco switchports
· Moved PC’s from one network switch to another as needed for increased bandwidth, also reconfigured Cisco switchport speed, duplex, and VLAN configurations as needed
· Responsible for in person Desktop support break fix solutions
· Responsible for upgrading hardware within refurbished PC’s
· Installing Windows 7 onto refurbished PC’s
· Manipulating devices within System Center Configuration Manager to place correct applications onto PC’s
· Deploying PC’s to end users and providing support for additional questions and issues
· Used Active Directory to place end users into correct security groups for access to network files and folders, reset passwords, and deploy applications through Novell ZenWorks
· Used print management servers to deploy printers to Active Directory security groups
· Installation of equipment, like standard laser jet printers, label printers used for lab labels, E-Signature pads, card readers, Fujitsu document scanners
Time Warner Cable 2012-2014, Tier III Chat Escalations
· Troubleshooting Windows and MAC OSX
· Resolved multiple escalation problems at one time, over chat systems and telephone
· Supported customer provided equipment, I.E printers, modems, routers
· Special Project interfacing with internal engineers to resolve escalated application issues

Alum Creek Investments 2010-2012, Customer Service Representative
· Repaired/ Installed new computers as well as, first to resolve technical issues, such as reinstalling operating systems
· Primary Customer Service Support Staff

Teleperformance 2009-2010, Tier II Technical Support
· Resolved fiber-optic telephone, television, and data/internet related issues

Calltech, 2006-2007, Tier II Technical Support
· Configured DSL modems and routers for customers
· Supported Legacy Internet Systems

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you please post your actual resume in .doc format, after removing all personal info? It helps to see the formatting of the page.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ agree. The wall of text with no formatting doesn't motivate me to read it and comment.
  • Options
    Sure thing guys. Attached is my resume.James Resume.doc
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully your name and contact information is on top of the resume you present to a potential employer.

Education and Certification
    Move to the bottom. Your out of college and frankly DeVry may indeed be a boat anchor to many employers based on prior experience. Combine both CompTIA+ certs into one line. Looks like filler devoting two lines to minor certifications. Are you currently pursuing any other certifications? Good time to mention your building skills.

Qualfications
    Your listing both skill sets and qualifications as the same header. Either reflect both or separate for ease of reading.
    Drop unnecessary passive wording "such as". If your unfamiliar with Shrunk and White. Consider it a career investment. Keep that book on your work desk.
    What is "experience with SCCM" if I have no idea what "SCCM" is or cannot remember. Avoid technical jargon particularly when you appear to be targeting a network position not help desk or Windows administration. Remote Secure Telnet or SSH, yeah. What is SCCM to a Network administrator good for? Device Expert? Awesome. SCCM? Welcome to helpdesk.

IT Work Experience

Passive wording.
    Very windows orientated. Your work duties appear to be a passive list of help desk and basic MAC (Move Adds Changes) nothing specific to Network outside of plugging a cable into the wall.

Anything over FIVE (5) years or three positions will make you appear old and dated. You can drop the more junior descriptions and appear to be much more up to date and vibrant. Vibrant is an excellent active word. People like active and energetic over passive, dull boring people to work with.

Sorry about the dangling participles. I am just writing very lazily.

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Hopefully your name and contact information is on top of the resume you present to a potential employer.

Education and Certification
    Move to the bottom. Your out of college and frankly DeVry may indeed be a boat anchor to many employers based on prior experience. Combine both CompTIA+ certs into one line. Looks like filler devoting two lines to minor certifications. Are you currently pursuing any other certifications? Good time to mention your building skills.

Qualfications
    Your listing both skill sets and qualifications as the same header. Either reflect both or separate for ease of reading.
    Drop unnecessary passive wording "such as". If your unfamiliar with Shrunk and White. Consider it a career investment. Keep that book on your work desk.
    What is "experience with SCCM" if I have no idea what "SCCM" is or cannot remember. Avoid technical jargon particularly when you appear to be targeting a network position not help desk or Windows administration. Remote Secure Telnet or SSH, yeah. What is SCCM to a Network administrator good for? Device Expert? Awesome. SCCM? Welcome to helpdesk.

IT Work Experience

Passive wording.
    Very windows orientated. Your work duties appear to be a passive list of help desk and basic MAC (Move Adds Changes) nothing specific to Network outside of plugging a cable into the wall.

Anything over FIVE (5) years or three positions will make you appear old and dated. You can drop the more junior descriptions and appear to be much more up to date and vibrant. Vibrant is an excellent active word. People like active and energetic over passive, dull boring people to work with.

Sorry about the dangling participles. I am just writing very lazily.

- b/eads

I know that there is a lot of non networking that is on my resume, but I've never held an actual networking position, so I don't really have much of it to place on my resume. With that said, I've padded it with my other responsibilities at my old jobs. Here is a revised version.James Critique.doc
  • Options
    Just bumping this post to try to get more feedback.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've received some really good feedback so far. I completed agree about the acronyms, gotta be careful with those.

I usually use this format, for example: System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)

Your resume should begin with a competent professional summary. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

Regarding the skills section, this is a really long an tedious read. Instead of listing a bunch of software, technologies, and protocols, and I would rather you expand upon this information and explain HOW you are proficient in these skills, especially in a business/enterprise environment. Ideally I would recommend that you incorporate this info into your professional experience, and then perhaps even drop the skills section altogether. This will also help to reduce the overall length of this resume. Regarding the home lab stuff, you could discuss this during the interview process if necessary, but I'm not sure how appropriate it is to list this on your resume when you already have several years of professional experience under your belt.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. I would recommend expanding on your experience as much as possible, especially as it relates to the specific job that you are applying for. Again, tailor the resume for the job position.

Consider creating separate sections for education and certifications. This may make more sense in the future as you accrue additional certs.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)