Options

MCSE or Degree?

typ44qtyp44q Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post here, a co worker told me about this place and it looks great so far.
I will try to make this as brief as possible, here is my situation:

I have been working for the past 7 years doing desktop tech support and some limited network stuff (data backup, router config) I have some college credits(about 100 but not sure how many of them are still good and I would be changing my major so I would probably be looking at 2 years of night and weekend classes to graduate), at this point in my life I want to advance to something more than what I am already doing.

So I and am trying to figure out if I should go back to school and get a degree or go for something like the MCSE.

Eventually I would like to have both but which would be the best thing right now to get me a better job?

any advice or experience would be great.

thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    There is really no question on this one. The degree is far more important and respected. Your trying to compare something that takes 4-5 years and covers multiple subjects with something that consists of a series of 7-8 tests. If you do have a substantial amount of experience it definately helps. Good experience + certs can often times pull alot of weight, and if that is your circumstance you may be alright. But just comparing the MCSE to a degree is not even close.

but on a side note Id rather have a CCIE than a degree.

seuss_ssues
  • Options
    duckduckduckduckduckduck Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One further consideration: Degrees don't expire every few years. Once you get one, you've got it for life.