Options

What is/are the entry level positions to becoming a Sys Admin?

seanBubbyseanBubby Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just called by a company/recruiter and told that my skill level doesn't even qualify me for help desk, which I thought was the entry level position I was supposed to aim for. What is the barebones position I should be aiming for if I eventually want to become a Sys Admin someday? I'm like lost now. I've been applying for help desk, technical support, desktop support, qa tester, you name it. Are any of those entry level or even close to it?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Look for assistant positions.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can't see your resume in the other post because onedrive is blocked here. Do you have any experience at all?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not qualified for help desk? Help desk and tech support are generally as entry level as you can get. Do you have any qualifications at all? An A+ cert? School? Volunteer work? Anything?
  • Options
    seanBubbyseanBubby Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is my resume. I'm about to finish up an associate's degree and just finished a 3 month internship and I've worked at best buy for around 9 months.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First off - typically people here recommend to anonymize your resume if posting it publicly.
    While you don't necessarily need experience to land a help desk job, if I was hiring you I'd be looking for lots of tech hobbies, activities, local groups, etc to show that you live in this space even if you don't work in it yet. Also it never hurts to have the basics like CompTIA A+, Network+, etc. to show you're taking some affirmative steps towards personal development.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    The resume needs a lot of work in my opinion. I think you should be qualified for a desktop support position without any issues.
    Here are some issues I see on the resume (again this is my opinion):
    Skills and Abilities - quick learner, hard worker, honest... stuff like that as "Skills" for me dont cut it
    You dont write I'm a quick learner, you say it in your resume through the experience and tasks you've completed.
    For example:
    Promoted to complex infrastructure projects in the first 3 months of employment. Something like that says hard worker more for me than actually typing"hard worker" in the resume.

In your experience you enlist your achievements but you forgot to list how you got there. What technologies you used, methods, etc. You exceeded sales target, thats great.
    But what technologies did you worked with? What did you troubleshoot? What problems did you solved?

If you got your resume posted in another thread, I'm sure a lot of people here will give you some great advice.
    Just polish the resume and keep trying. That recruiter fails @ life, forget about it.
    meh
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well for SysAdmin you would probably want MCSA Server 2012 or RHCSA if you're talking Linux sysadmin. Like others have said, I'd get an A+ if you want to start climbing your way up from HelpDesk. That's what I would do anyway: Get an A+ -> start help desk -> get an MCSA -> look for Junior SysAdmin positions.

For Linux, there are very few if any Linux help desk positions. What I would do get is get an RHCSA and an LPIC-2 and look for junior positions.