Options

A lot of interviews but no job

newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am about 3 years out of college, 2.5 years expierience overall, I have been on about 8 or more interviews and I have almost for the most part made it to the final round. I am starting to get depressed that I havent found a new position. I just got the email that they found a better candidate. I thought I had it, I was very down to earth, I tried to be "Human" rather then robotoic, I let the interviewee speak. I dont know. I almost feel like IT Sec or the IT Feild isn't for me.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You just have to go in there and sell yourself. If you're getting interviews you've already won half the battle. Be confident and ensure you convey your interest and excitement in the role. I always specifically tell them I want the job. I've been told more than once that was a deciding factor that I seemed to really want it more than most.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You just have to go in there and sell yourself. If you're getting interviews you've already won half the battle. Be confident and ensure you convey your interest and excitement in the role. I always specifically tell them I want the job. I've been told more than once that was a deciding factor that I seemed to really want it more than most.

Completely agree ^

When I was starting out, what got me my first job was my enthusiasm towards IT but more specifically towards the opportunity that the company was presenting me with. If the Employer feels like you'd be happy to do the job and sees that you have potential, then most employers will give the green light to bring you on-board.

You also have to make sure that you're applying for the right role. In other words, if you're applying for a job where 50% of the requirement is to manage Linux systems and you only know Windows, well someone else who has some experience with Linux, could be considered a better fit.

I've seen my friends get really sad and insecure about themselves because of constant rejections, interview after interview.. All it took to fix all that was to just sit down, and look at what these particular individuals were good at and look for jobs where their experience and enthusiasm complemented the role well.
  • Options
    TheProf wrote: »
    Completely agree ^

When I was starting out, what got me my first job was my enthusiasm towards IT but more specifically towards the opportunity that the company was presenting me with. If the Employer feels like you'd be happy to do the job and sees that you have potential, then most employers will give the green light to bring you on-board.

You also have to make sure that you're applying for the right role. In other words, if you're applying for a job where 50% of the requirement is to manage Linux systems and you only know Windows, well someone else who has some experience with Linux, could be considered a better fit.

I've seen my friends get really sad and insecure about themselves because of constant rejections, interview after interview.. All it took to fix all that was to just sit down, and look at what these particular individuals were good at and look for jobs where their experience and enthusiasm complemented the role well.

Thats the thing that is killing me. I am very passionate about security and work in Product support for a MFA product. I want to move out of that and have probably interviewing for on avg about 1-2 jobs for the past couple months. I had an interview at a hospital for IT Sec in Compliance and I thought I had it, met with the director and I don't know where it went wrong. Don't know if I didn't come off energetic as him, because he got up and started pacing around the room and sat on his desk...

I am floored and feeling unmotivated now and feel like maybe I should look at different careers since I have been shutdown so many times.

I sent an Email directly to HR asking for more feedback and constructive criticism so I can have a better performance next time.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think it's the career path so much that you need to work on changin. Interviewing skills are always going to be needed regardless.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just recently got a new job as a network architect, so this situation is still fresh in my mind. I'm in my late 20's, so I know I didn't have the experience factor going for me. With that, in the first interview I had (with the VP/my boss), toward the end I asked what their biggest concern was regarding my ability to fulfill the position. That gave two positives: I could speak directly to that point, and if I didn't get the job I knew something that other interviewers might also be concerned with.

But, you gotta be willing to roll with the punches and not get defensive when they reply.
  • Options
    phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You just have to keep at it. It seems like there are far more IT professionals than there are jobs right now and a lot of them will have more experience or a higher level of education than you. I just landed my first gig after almost a month of dead end interviews and rejection letters. Maybe focus on selling why you are a better choice than the others. In my last interview, this past Friday, I admitted to having less/no experience compared to their other applicants but if they want someone who will be there every day, on time, ready to work then I'm their guy....and I got the job offer today. Remind them that anything you don't know, you can learn, and experience you don't have, you can gain, but a strong work ethic is something a person either does or does not have.
  • Options
    Thank you guys...
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Newjack...Are you currently working in IT?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Newjack...Are you currently working in IT?

Yes as a security support engineer, I want to move out of the client facing support and product support and go into more general security where I will be touching all IT Security issues rather than the one I feel stuck in now.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stand out by bringing in a professional notebook filled with questions for the interviewers. Smile often and look them in the eyes..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Do you have a friend With a position similar to yours or higher?
    Try to do some mock ups, always good to do it with someone you dont know so you feel the "preassure" of not knowing the person.
    Some people here may be able to help you and do mock up interviews through skype.

I'm sorry I have no idea how to conduct a security interview.
    meh