Options

Junior SOC Analyst Job Interview Preparation. Need Tips

bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I will have a Job Interview for a Junior SOC Analyst position this Friday at later in the evening. I was told that I will be receiving actual tests "The tests will be based on the required knowledge and skills for the position, and nothing in the tests will require knowledge of specific AO situations"

I think I will be getting MCQs possibly or something like a blend of MCQs or Short Answer or Visuals.

Any suggestions from anybody here would be appreciated. I have looked thru some old threads and job descriptions of what Junior SOC Analysts do.

I have a security + certification and a GCIH GIAC cert. But, from the looks of things. I will be mainly doing log analysis and PACKET analysis. and the GCIA covers that more than the GCIH.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For a jr level role you're probably fine with the certs/knowledge you have already. Brush up on recent attacks, port numbers, etc. Without knowing the actual job listing it's hard to say what they'll ask when they stated the tests will be based on the requirements for the position itself.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    For a jr level role you're probably fine with the certs/knowledge you have already. Brush up on recent attacks, port numbers, etc. Without knowing the actual job listing it's hard to say what they'll ask when they stated the tests will be based on the requirements for the position itself.

yeah. I think I will be getting a job description by tomorrow. I will let you know. thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    Hello all, I finally have more info. The interview test will be in both multiple-choice and short essay format. It will ask about:

- Ports/protocols
    - Subnetting, along with NAT / PAT

- Test will provide a sample output from a tool (Bro IDS) and as you to identify what the tool is and what type of activity is occurring

- Test will provide a common URL based directory structure of a Content Management System and ask you to identify which CMS it belongs to

- Test will provide an Apache filename and state that it has been modified, and then ask you to identify what likely caused it to be modified

Essentially ports and protocols is very straightforward as well as Subnetting, but I'm not so sure about BRO IDS and identifying an attack tool. A common URL based directory with Content Management System. Any study suggestions would be appreciated.