Options

Breaking the barrier

SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all.

Long story short, As a single guy in the security field it looks like the magic 100k mark is getting further and further away, and I want to know what I need to do to get there.

Long story long:

Currently work as a SOC Analyst on perm for a big company. Used to work as a contractor which offered more money, definitely took a hit financially, but the name on the resume is good, and there is opportunity to move around within the company and learn new things. I'm looking at moving closer to work, but it will be a COL hike.

By the end of the year, I am looking at adding GCIA and GREM to my resume. I don't intend to leave right now because I don't see anyone letting me transition straight into a new role.

So lets look a bit further out. Eventually i'm looking at being a short time (less than 10 years in security) infosec pro, i'll have my GSE (possible), no CISSP at this point. Where should I be looking to go over 100k? Overseas contracting? Stay in the SOC? Consulting? I don't want to do management or policy type work. Am I missing anything? Any questions I need to be asking myself?
OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably really depends on the market area you're in, as well as how you're marketing yourself. If you can prove that you're someone who can deliver results (not just keep a chair warm and mark off the daily grind check boxes), then you should be able to attract the attention of employers more serious about budgeting for an infosec team. I don't think 100k is difficult to achieve in this day and age if you have at least some experience, which it'll ultimately come down to in general.

You'll have to consider relocating if your local market isn't that hot, although I'd assume Atlanta would be one of them. The COL and relative pay for the area is also a big factor.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you want over 100k in my area you need to go into contracting/consulting. Those are just about the only jobs in my area anyway, since apparently companies feel that paying a boatload of money to bring someone in temporarily for a few weeks/months is all it needs to get up to speed on security and create a self-sustainable program (HA!)

Easiest way to get ahead is networking. Join some local security/IT groups to meet a few others and get them to know you. People always prefer to hire a friend than a stranger. Should prove fairly easy, too, since you're single and have time to kill compared to the family guys who are bogged down more.