Options

Failed ICND2

mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
..with a 801

As per the NDA, I can't point out some of the material in the exam that clearly was not covered in the following books: Lammle, Browning, Exam Cram. All I can suggest is know the obscure --and I mean the really obscure

I'm throwing them all out and gonna try the newest version of Odom, unless somebody has something else to suggest.

Boson tests were cool. I'm gonna resched in three weeks

Pizza and beer time!!
Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Know the obscure is right, I passed ICND2 a few weeks ago and got so many questions and I was thinking, " I have never heard read about this before..."

The labs are the easiest part, IMO. Just know show commands and how to interpret that data. I agree with the Odom approach. It is good to get a different perspective on the material.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you go with Odom I recommend downloading the updated appendices that are available online for free. If it's a newer version than the books I had then perhaps those update appendices will be included as part of the book.
  • Options
    bpenn wrote: »
    Know the obscure is right, I passed ICND2 a few weeks ago and got so many questions and I was thinking, " I have never heard read about this before..."

Thanks for validating my observations. I'm gonna look in the NP books for the material on the obscure. My definition of obscure is something like "Only the root bridge can send out timer changes", but the shi* I was seeing was wayyy out in left field.

Regards
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Odom's book is really the best book of them all so you should be all set. If you do get CCNP material I would recommend the FLG SWITCH and the FLG ROUTE. You shouldn't need them though, all you need is in Odom. Good luck!
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately the obscure part doesn't get any better as you go up. I took the CCIE lab three times, and on the first two I swore they were making technologies up.

Keep your head up, brush up on some newer books, and try again!
  • Options
    rjon17469 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the obscure part doesn't get any better as you go up. I took the CCIE lab three times, and on the first two I swore they were making technologies up

LOL.. Yeah, there is another member here KMastah, who went on a tirade about the same issue. One issue, is I wonder if the same test bank of questions is used if I show up in a couple of weeks? Or do they change them? That's why some folks who passed might have gotten different types. The sims were gravy, its the multiple guess that had the weird stuff.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Odom's book is really the best book of them all so you should be all set. If you do get CCNP material I would recommend the FLG SWITCH and the FLG ROUTE. You shouldn't need them though, all you need is in Odom. Good luck!

The NP books teach the same theory but add more to it. I'm thinking conspiracy here!!!
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Me taking the CCENT 3 time last month there was overlap in the tests but there were a ton of new questions too...

Just retake it bro...

I feel looking back on it failing it two times makes me troubleshoot and evaluate differently and really look at things.

But I truly feel failure only makes you stronger...
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Me taking the CCENT 3 time last month there was overlap in the tests but there were a ton of new questions too...

Just retake it bro...

I feel looking back on it failing it two times makes me troubleshoot and evaluate differently and really look at things.

But I truly feel failure only makes you stronger...

Yeah, but I spent a shi*load of money on books udemy vids Boson sim exams and others Plus, add in the $150 for the exam, you gotta say, "There has to be something else the books aren't teaching" or it's a conspiracy!!! icon_cheers.gif And G dam* it, due to the NDA, I have a perfect example I can't talk about--although it only, supposedly, was weighted 6% according to the Cisco Objectives.

OK, I tossed Lammle, Bryant, Valentine-Barker, and Browning. I'm keeping Graziani, cuz he's a Facebook pal and he's honest and did a interview with me I needed for an upper division English Class project.

I thought Odom was a bit extreme cuz he brought in secondary IP addressing which I understand is valid but is not part of the Cisco objectives. I want the learning materials that deal with the obscure
  • Options
    if it makes you feel any better I figure I spent over 1200 to pass the CCENT between books, 3 exams, videos, and labbing equipment, plus labbing hours.

I feel you pain bro!!!!
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I want the learning materials that deal with the obscure

find a vulcan, let me know when you do, we can both ask him/her...
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed, too, back in March and I remember seeing a lot of questions I wasn't expecting. Hoping to give it another go before the new year. I'm so slow...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Scheduling it is half the battle.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt the same way after failing the 200-120. Like I studied for a different test.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    RobbyRobRobbyRob Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my CCNA a couple of days ago. I used CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press books. Passed with flying colors having only Microsoft experience before that and never touched the config for a Cisco device before. I did however have a strong understanding of networking and subnetting from work and Network+. I would try those resources.
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    Cisco does like to throw in some oddball questions. When I took my CCT R&S, they has one question about basic hand tools that any moron would be able to figure out while standing there in front of the rack adding components, and I thought "Is THIS what I paid all that money in training videos for? They couldn't find any more technical questions to ask than THIS?!?!?!". At least they could have correct spelling and grammar in every test question! And what if someone didn't use the factory supplies nuts and bolts and screws? Then that question is out the window!

I was in touch with the Cisco Learning Center after my test, even though I passed, complaining about some questions that were not covered at all in the Cisco training videos! They obfuscated with their usual answers, of course. "Sorry, we can't discuss the right answers to test questions". A bunch of BS. I already passed, what do they care?

Cisco WANTS you to just barely fail, that way you have to pay more money to take the test more times. It's all about the profits.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's important to always keep the blueprint in mind. Sometimes the books don't always cover everything on the blueprint, and that's where a lot of people lose points on the exam. What I like to do in late-stage preparation is just take the blueprint and go down the line topic after topic. If there's anything on there that I'm not solid on, I hit Google and Cisco docs.