Options

Instead of getting CCNA: R&S how about?

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm thinking ahead here, I'm currently studying for the ICND1 and my goal is to have my CCENT by the end of the year. I've noticed that most people afterwards do the routing and switching exam so they get their cCNa in routing and switching. But at looking at all the other tracks Cisco offers, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better deal to go with a different CCNA, like security or something. I noticed that a lot of the tracks only have the CCENT as a prerequisite.

I'm not too worried about missing out on the routing and switching knowledge because there's already a good amount of networking info in the ICND1, plus I have Network+ and an MTA Network Fundamentals and also an A.S. in Network Administration.

What's the opinion of the board? What about going for CCNA: Security, or Voice or Data Center instead of the routing and switching? I'm thinking of ROI and job marketability/demand here. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could choose that path. I can only speak for CCNA Security, which has a lot of overlap with R&S. Even though the security test is relatively easier, I think it would have been much more difficult without the routing and switching knowledge. CCENT is really just scratching the surface on routing and switching, CCNA just scratches a little more. CCNP is apparently when you start diving into real world routing and switching fundamentals.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA will be your best bet. It provides base knowledge that you will need for all of the others. I've had 3+ Cisco Certified Network Instructors at the Cisco Academy also say the same thing.

If you ARE looking to mix it up though, try the CCDA before the CCNA, but get your NA either way.

Besides, the CCNA Security is kind of a disappointment.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed CCNA: Sec is disappointing currently, next iteration should be improved if what I've read is true, reducing CCP to almost nothing. It also doesn't seem to have much marketability, thus low ROI without experience.

I've read the CCDA is a pretty advanced certificate and for some it's often pursued after CCNP R&S. It's probably a really interesting cert if you aspire to be a network architect someday.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    techfiend wrote: »
    Agreed CCNA: Sec is disappointing currently, next iteration should be improved if what I've read is true, reducing CCP to almost nothing. It also doesn't seem to have much marketability, thus low ROI without experience.

I've read the CCDA is a pretty advanced certificate and for some it's often pursued after CCNP R&S. It's probably a really interesting cert if you aspire to be a network architect someday.

This sums it up nicely. I was planning on taking CCNA:S after my CCNA R&S until I started researching it and decided to go for CCNP R&S. As for CCDA alot of people say they underestimated it even after holding a CCNP R&S. I'm agreeing with the others and CCNA R&S is the way to go (and most martketable/recognized).
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »

This is what I did - I got my CCDA after my CCNP, and it did help significantly. The CCDA can be had on its own, but you'll end up learning (or at least jumping around) a lot of CCNA/NP knowledge to get there.

I'm a network architect, and I'll say that the CCNP/CCIE is more useful to me than the CCDP is, but it still doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. So R&S is still the thing. I was just thinking it might be oversaturated since that's what everyone seems to do and maybe a ccna voice or data center might be better. But if R&S is the way to go, then that's cool with me. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I'd be more interested in getting CCNA Data Center or CCNA Service Provider than CCNA Routing & Switching, but I have to wonder how much of the fundamentals I might miss by not doing R&S first. Anyone have an idea about this?

And is the CCENT the same for all of these?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It depends also on what kind of career path you are interested in. If you are going to go Network Admin/Engineering route, then CCNA R+S is something you will need to do at some point. If you are going to work for SME or in Server Admin, then CCENT is probably enough to get by with. Which particular track after that depends also on the role. There's not a huge point doing CCNA Security if the company you work for doesn't use Cisco firewalls. Security+ would be a better use of the time.
    For generic network admin or system admin roles within an enterprise, Wireless can be useful, Voice/Collaboration is probably a good choice as well, Cloud might be worthwhile.
    CCDA is probably the other good fit for Network heavy focus.
    Data Center is good if you are considering storage data networking, which is a shift in focus from straight ahead IP networking.

Sadly, in terms of marketability, the CCNA R+S (usually just listed as CCNA) is often requested in a lot of roles where CCENT or even Network+ is sufficient. If you go the self study route, then the few hundred you pay for most of the CCNAs is rarely wasted. Even where it isn't directly used, it does deepen your understanding of all networking, and makes you a better engineer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I would strongly suggest to complete R&S as to me you need to know how packets flow through a network in a "perfect" network before smacking a firewall in the middle and blocking your traceroutes etc. Do what interests you but I recommend R&S and then branching out.

Good luck.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle