Options

No Paid Time Off-How do you schedule Interviews?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Currently, I 'm looking for a different IT job.
I need to update my resume.

The company I work for doesn't offer vacation.

If you do take time off or need to leave early, then you need state why.

I'm just wondering how could I schedule interviews?

Would I have to take contract to hire jobs?

Has anyone been in this situation before?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    RellyRaleRellyRale Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the same issue of needing to interview because I want to switch employers. I have been taking long lunches and using good excuses on why I need to. I only interview for jobs I really want or is worth it. I have a few prospects and hopefully one of them will be the one.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just be careful so that they don't ask for documentation from the doctors/dentist/lawyer/facebook invite or whatever lol....
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ughh
    One guy took an unpaid week vacation and went out west. He was checking in via facebook.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Ohhhh my stomach... I don't feel good...

But really I used to tell my boss I had urgent erronds to run and needed extra time on lunch.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you have a contractor or repair person coming to your house, and you need to be home to let them in and show them where they have to work...

but ummmmm, why don't you have PTO/vacay days? are you contract?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm guessing "attending to personal matters" wouldn't suffice for a reason?
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've gone on interviews immediately after work on two occasions. Another time I just took a long lunch.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Family business you need to attend to.
    I've never had an employer that wanted to dig in my own business, so that was enough.
    Or long lunch.
    meh
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just say I'm taking an elderly family member to a doc's appointment or a big family event (reunions, weddings, anniversary).
  • Options
    DeathByMisadventureDeathByMisadventure Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Personal business." If they press for more information, basically start hinting that what they're asking for is illegal for them to ask, as it could reveal a protected medical condition.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the Past I have scheduled phone interviews during my lunch break and done the phone interview while sitting in my car, or drive to like starbucks or something and do it in the car.

I've also asked if they are available to do the interview after/before my working schedule.

If the position is truly one you are very interested in you will find a way to make the interview.
  • Options
    guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, seriously is missing a day or work or an hour or two out of work going to put you in a financial hardship? I would just take the time off and leave. -3hrs on a pay check I would hope isn't the difference between your lights being off or on. I would just take the financial hit and make the sacrifice for the future.

I have always scheduled interviews early in the morning so I come in late or most of the time late in the evening so I leave early
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know 99.9% of employers would hate if they knew the truth about you looking. Putting in my two cents, I encourage my people to succeed professionally & personally. We had one who just left for a better opportunity, and he used me as a reference when applying for the new job. If I can't pay my people what they are worth or give them the workload they expect, I more than happily tell them I'll do whatever I can to get them what they want if it is somewhere else.

Amazingly enough, that leads to some good relationships with employees!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know 99.9% of employers would hate if they knew the truth about you looking. Putting in my two cents, I encourage my people to succeed professionally & personally. We had one who just left for a better opportunity, and he used me as a reference when applying for the new job. If I can't pay my people what they are worth or give them the workload they expect, I more than happily tell them I'll do whatever I can to get them what they want if it is somewhere else.

Amazingly enough, that leads to some good relationships with employees!
    Excellent attitude!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hinted at above. Deliveries made in person by truck (bed, new kitchen appliances, etc). Utility worker(s) that need to read or replace an inside the garage or house meter. Dog sitting for a neighbor who was suddenly hospitalized and scruffy will need to go outside or face the "consequences". Of course your usual standbys exist: Dental, Medical or Vet, if you live with animals. Personally, I live with a dozen but tend to take 3 or 4 at a time. (*Fun!*)

-b/eads