Options

SSH login access denied

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
Firstly thanks to the users that helped me resolve my last issue, but now I have a new one.

I'm practicing IOS commands using a physical 1841 router running "Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)". I've followed the section in the Sybex/Todd Lammle book to set up ssh as follows:

Router (config)# hostname Cisco1841
Cisco1841 (config)# ip domain-name domain.co.uk
Cisco1841 (config)# username user password password
Cisco1841 (config)# crypto key generate rsa
Cisco1841 (config)# ip ssh version 2
Cisco1841 (config)# line vty 0 15
Cisco1841 (config-line)# transport input ssh telnet
^Z
Cisco1841#

At this point I realised I'd got no IP address set so did a little bit more configuration:

Cisco1841 (config)# ip interface fastethernet 0/0
Cisco1841 (config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.100 255.255.0.0
Cisco1841 (config-if)# no shutdown
^Z
Cisco1841# copy start run

So now the router is connected to my live switch via Ethernet cable as is my PC on which I've been using Putty to configure the router via the console. I can ping the router from a command prompt so I've tried to connect to it using Putty's default settings (Connect via SSH, IP 192.168.1.100 port 22). It prompts for a username and then a password, but whatever password I enter I just get "Access denied" and after 5 attempts the connection is closed.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did you mean to do a copy run start instead of a copy start run
    check your ports and see if they are still up. show ip interface br
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    did you mean to do a copy run start instead of a copy start run
    check your ports and see if they are still up. show ip interface br

Yes, copy the running-config to the startup-config so that after I reboot all the changes I've made are retained. If I'd have overwritten the running-config with the startup-config (by using copy start run) then all my changes would have been lost and I'd have had to start again.

FastEthernet0/0 has the correct IP address, status is up and protocol is up.
    FastEthernet0/1 is unassigned, status is administratively down and protocol is down.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    right off the bat I see your problem.

You setup a username but since you only did line vty 0 15 and a transport input ssh telnet and then saved your only going to be able to login with a enable password which also isn't set.

If you want to login with the username, under the line vty 0 15 you need to add this line 'login local' for you to use the username 'user' and password 'password' as specified above. Also you will need to specify a enable password for you to get to privileged mode with the 'enable secret [insert password]' command for when you do establish the ssh/telnet session.

Try adding that to the configuring, saving it and then login in via SSH or telnet.

made an exact replica of your lab in packet tracer real quick and this is what I got, hope this helps :)

Router:

Cisco1841# Cisco1841#show ru
    Cisco1841#show running-config
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 730 bytes
    !
    version 12.4
    no service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service timestamps debug datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Cisco1841
    !
    !
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$mERr$GvDaTJK9lhdXRUPWKA74O0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip cef
    no ipv6 cef
    !
    !
    !
    username user password 0 password
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip ssh version 2
    ip domain-name domain.co.uk
    !
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 192.168.1.100 255.255.0.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    no ip address
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    !
    ip flow-export version 9
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    !
    line aux 0
    !
    line vty 0 4
    login local
    line vty 5 15
    login local
    !
    !
    !
    end

Cisco1841#
    Cisco1841#

PC:

PC>
    PC>telnet 192.168.1.100
    Trying 192.168.1.100 ...Open

User Access Verification

Username:
    % Username: timeout expired!

[Connection to 192.168.1.100 closed by foreign host]
    PC>
    PC>
    PC>
    PC>telnet 192.168.1.100
    Trying 192.168.1.100 ...Open

User Access Verification

Username: user
    Password:
    Cisco1841>enable
    Password:
    Cisco1841#
    Cisco1841#
    Cisco1841#
    Cisco1841#
    Cisco1841#

• Options
    Net_GenuisNet_Genuis Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try this cconfiguration:
    Cisco1841 (config)# line vty 0 15
    Cisco1841 (config-line)# transport input ssh telnet
    Cisco1841 (config-line)#login local

To connect using ssh you need the following command:
    Cisco1841#ssh -l user 192.168.1.100
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    right off the bat I see your problem.

You setup a username but since you only did line vty 0 15 and a transport input ssh telnet and then saved your only going to be able to login with a enable password which also isn't set.

If you want to login with the username, under the line vty 0 15 you need to add this line 'login local' for you to use the username 'user' and password 'password' as specified above. Also you will need to specify a enable password for you to get to privileged mode with the 'enable secret [insert password]' command for when you do establish the ssh/telnet session.

Try adding that to the configuring, saving it and then login in via SSH or telnet.

Ooo that's freaky, looks just like my show run output. And of course you're spot on with your observation so thanks very much.

I already have an "enable secret" set requiring a password to enter privileged mode so I went back to global config mode and issued the "login local" command, logged out and tried to connect again and that has resolved my issue. Strange then that there's absolutely no mention of this in the chapter I'm working through in Lammle's book.

I did find a troubleshooting guide on Cisco (Configuring Secure Shell on Routers and Switches Running Cisco IOS - Cisco) which contained the following, but I didn't understand it (and still don't so more investigation required):

!--- The aaa new-model command causes the local username and password on the router
    !--- to be used in the absence of other AAA statements.

aaa new-model
    username cisco password 0 cisco
    line vty 0 4
    transport input telnet

!--- Instead of aaa new-model, you can use the login local command.
  • Options
    As you guys are clearly on the ball and either use Cisco kit in your jobs or have better study material than me (maybe it's covered in a later chapter?), perhaps you can help me clean up. It's not affecting anything negatively as far as I can tell, but because of some previous configuration I have 2 entries in my show run:

line vty 0 4
    password telnet
    login local
    transport input telnet ssh
    line vty 5 15
    password telnet
    login local
    transport input telnet ssh
    !

Without trying a reset to defaults, or a factory reset if that doesn't work (seems extreme, but it would at least give me more practice setting everything up again), can I remove one of these entries? Or does it even matter? I've just looked at Deathimage's packet tracer output again and like me it has entries for 0-4 and 5-15.
  • Options
    Net_GenuisNet_Genuis Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is normal when you configure line vty 0 15 . It doesn't matter, it good practice because you protected all your vty lines.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    GDaines wrote: »
    Ooo that's freaky, looks just like my show run output. And of course you're spot on with your observation so thanks very much.

I already have an "enable secret" set requiring a password to enter privileged mode so I went back to global config mode and issued the "login local" command, logged out and tried to connect again and that has resolved my issue. Strange then that there's absolutely no mention of this in the chapter I'm working through in Lammle's book.

I did find a troubleshooting guide on Cisco (Configuring Secure Shell on Routers and Switches Running Cisco IOS - Cisco) which contained the following, but I didn't understand it (and still don't so more investigation required):

!--- The aaa new-model command causes the local username and password on the router
    !--- to be used in the absence of other AAA statements.

aaa new-model
    username cisco password 0 cisco
    line vty 0 4
    transport input telnet

!--- Instead of aaa new-model, you can use the login local command.

No worries after you work with the CLI for a while you pick up on things.

Takes time bro, just keep at it!

Get in good practice of things now and it will follow you later. Always good to enable all 16 vty lines as protected.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    login local
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University