Options

Starting New Info Sec Analyst Role - Questions about plan going forward

securitybrosecuritybro Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

This is my first post, but I have been using these forums for awhile and it's great there is an awesome community of professionals when it comes to this stuff.

I recently separated from the Army and after interviewing from a ton of stuff I decided on taking a role here locally where I am in WA state. I have experience with the way the Army's "Information Assurance" but obviously in the private sector it's little different.

I have a good fundamental understanding of security principles, procedures, processes, but some of the systems ie: IDS, IPS, firewall configurations I'm not quite up to speed on since I didn't have much access to that while I was in the Army.

I know it will probably take me a few weeks to get an idea of the systems are ran at the new job, but I wanted to see if anyone has some experience on how they started their first Info Sec role out and what they were hoping to accomplish and get done.

I really like the SANS white sheets and I stumbled onto an oldie, but still relevant that I think gives me an idea of where to start as a baseline then work my way up.

http://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/modeling/network-security-model-32843

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to my first civilian job and the very generous bump in salary :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best bet would be first defining what you consider to be your ultimate goal. From there you can make a plan. Lots of people start out as analysts, and love the role and hope to one day be a Sr level or a manager of a SOC. Some want to be pen testers, some want to be security engineers / blue team, etc. So many different directions to go, try to narrow down what interests you at some point then you can make a plan to get there.