Listing that im studying for my test on resume

DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

Ive been studying for my A+ i will be taking my test the 1st week of oct. Im interested in applying for positions now. What is your guys opinion on me stating that im currently studying for my A+ on my resume. As well what about once i take and pass my 801 i would take the 802 2 weeks later. Could i put down 801 passed 802 test on 10/25 for example.

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would only list exams that you have taken and passed. If you are simply studying for an exam with the intention of taking the exam in the near future, that is something to discuss during the interview process. Leave it off of the resume.

However, if the exam is a two-parter like the A+ and you have passed the first exam, I don't see a problem with listing that on your resume, and include something like "In progress."
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    So you are about 5 weeks out from the first exam? So, potentially if you got the job you still wouldn't have the cert?

Putting "A+ in progress or studying A+" on your resume will likely get you through some of the filters, the question is how it is viewed once it gets in front of a real person.

I think if you do put A+ in progress on your resume, then I'd be including a lot of concrete examples of skills expected by the job and A+. So you might describe experience building PCs, or experience troubleshooting hardware, experience setting up a small network or configuring a router, experience installing/configuring various OS, experience securing computers, setting up printers, configuring mobile devices etc.

If you don't have on the job experience of these, don't be afraid to list experience that you might have from other areas. An enthusiastic amateur who builds and mods their own PC, can set up a LAN, etc and shows that they are constantly learning is likely to be a better tech than someone who is just going through the motions to get a job.

Good luck with your A+ and job search.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I view it as a negative. Your intentions may be honest but there is no way for the recruiter to know just by looking at the resume. If the credential is listed anywhere on your resume it should be because you have it. Around here there are threads where we have seen folks with a whole slew of "pending" certs on a resume. Pending CEH (registered for class), In Progress Quad-CCIE (bought books) , Pending CISSP (scheduled test), Pending OSCP (thinking about it), CCIE Written (doesn't exist because the written exam is not a cert itself). etc. There's no guarantee that you'll pass a given test.
    I agree with emerald_octane's sentiments, that's why I think it would only be appropriate if it's a multi-part exam and you have already completed part of the requirements. But even then, you will need to explain the situation during the interview process.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Putting studying or in progress in reference to a certification and/or a degree is the biggest pet peeve for me. At my first IT job we waited for a guy to PASS an exam....he failed the exam. Who cares about him failing I could care less, I cared about the heavy workload the team had for waiting for this guy (ok, aggression over got off topic). In progress means absolutely nothing to me personally and when people talk about certifications and degrees (in progress) it is almost like they are trying to **** themselves pass/to HR. Honestly, once HR notices that in progress your resume it is going to the shred and you basically wasted everyones time. HR is not stupid beyond popular belief, if we post a job with these required certification requirements best believe when HR gets to a resume that meets those requirements they will send it to the "team" for review. Nothing gets passed HR, in any organization I have ever worked at. They have never suggested a resume that didn't meet the requirements. So, it goes back to either you meet the requirements or you don't.

I am not saying that nobody will not take a chance on you but if it's 10 resumes (I am being nice with the numbers) and two people have in progress do you think they are going to pay more attention to the 8 resumes that meet the requirements or the 2 resumes of guys/gals that may or may not pass the exam?

I have been in IT longer than a day, two things I "hate":

1. Waiting for someone who doesn't 100% meet the job requirements certification/education/clearance/availability
    2. Waiting for someone who meets the requirements, who backs out at the last minute when we could of filled the position by now.

Moral of the story I wish you all the success in the world. I know you'll pass and have a great future in the world of Information Technology
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you haven't passed it, don't put it...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    Regarding degrees though, I think that's an apples vs oranges comparison. If you are actively working toward a degree as a full-time or part-time student, then I highly recommend that you include that on your resume. I am halfway done with my masters degree and I certainly have that listed on my resume, along with my anticipated graduation date.

• DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok so dont put it lol

None of my previous jobs have any skills that would get my resume looked at. I have always built my own computers I've repaired friends and families pc's im just not sure how to incorporate those skills since they were not something i did while working
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If there are multiple exams and its higher level then I'd put in progress. I was specifically told that the fact I was one exam from finishing my CCNP was a reason they were interested in me even though I didn't have the relevant experience. For an A+ probably not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    DWither wrote: »
    None of my previous jobs have any skills that would get my resume looked at. I have always built my own computers I've repaired friends and families pc's im just not sure how to incorporate those skills since they were not something i did while working

Definitely put down what you have done, even if just for yourself or friends/family. You're basically going for an entry level position, so anything that shows that you know something is a plus. As someone who has been on both sides of that table, enthusiasm and an interest in the subject DO matter. The biggest part of IT support is problem solving, so if you can show that you can figure out a problem, do research, and fix a problem, that's a plus.

If you don't want to put "Studying A+", you can put down the experience/skills that you do have that are in the A+ objectives, eg upgrading PCs, installing Windows, setting up network/LAN/WiFi/Router, configuring a firewall, cleaning up viruses etc.

Something else worth thinking about for interviews are examples of interesting things that you've done, or hard problems that you've solved. For instance, setting up file and printer sharing between Mac/Linux/Windows, cleaning 5 years worth of malware out of your grandmas computer, helping your friend over the skype set up a Minecraft server.
  • Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    Before I got my Cisco CCT, I used to put "Currently studying for Cisco CCT Routing & Switching certification" on the resume. I'd put it as the last line on the last page to bypass the filters, while being less likely to actually be read carefully by HR people. In the end, I don't think it made much difference.

Once I got my CCT though, it went to the top line of the resume, above the job experience.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's interesting to read that most people don't recommend putting it on the resume. I personally see it as a plus. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do because every hiring manager has their own beliefs and prejudices. When I hire, it's base the decision on future potential so if a candidate were to list the types of studies or career related activities, it helps me form a conversation to understands their potential and their passion for the craft. A lot of times, I like to simply what to understand why someone is taking a particular cert and how they are studying for it.

It may entirely depend on the target audience.

Good luck on your job search.
  • guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Regarding degrees though, I think that's an apples vs oranges comparison. If you are actively working toward a degree as a full-time or part-time student, then I highly recommend that you include that on your resume. I am halfway done with my masters degree and I certainly have that listed on my resume, along with my anticipated graduation date.

Sir/Ma'am,

I don't think it has benefited you in a positive aspect from reading your other post.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I put whatever cert I'm studying on my resume and I think it helps occasionally. While trying to get into the field I was getting very few callbacks until I put A+ (in progress) on my resume. It wasn't until I finished A+ until I obtained a job but that was about the 20th interview. The resume is your first chance to impress and you should make yourself look as good as you can without lying.

I have MCP Server 2012 (in progress) on my current resume and received callbacks from positions that require MCP. Might not have otherwise. I'll put MCP Server 2012 R2 (MCSA in progress) when I pass 70-410.

I don't quite understand why some companies require certificates if they have the experience. I've met more in higher level positions without certs than with. I'd hire the experience over the cert every time. I'd also hire someone with no experience and studying A+ over someone who passed it years ago and never applied the knowledge.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    guy9 wrote: »
    Sir/Ma'am,

I don't think it has benefited you in a positive aspect from reading your other post.

What's the purpose of this post? Are you suggesting that I would have had much better luck not listing a masters degree in progress on my resume? Or perhaps you are suggesting that I'm not qualified to give such advice because of my current predicament. You took this thread in a very strange direction, and I don't get it.

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on who are you trying to impress. Me -- no, I'm a very reserved person. Some other guys -- maybe yes.
    paul78 wrote: »
    ...every hiring manager has their own beliefs and prejudices....

It may entirely depend on the target audience.

I think that this applies as well. There is no magic bullet approach that works with all people hiring. Our actual process for hiring is pretty awful, really: resume, interview, references. There's a lot of room in there for prejudices, subjectivity etc. It is a bit like the dating game.

One advice that was given to me, is that you yourself also need to filter out the companies where you mightn't want to work. For example, if you value certification and professional development, you ideally want to work somewhere that is supportive of that. By putting certifications and ongoing professional development in your resume and talking about it in the interview you are more likely to get jobs where that at the least it doesn't count against you and maybe counts for you.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    OctalDump wrote: »
    It is a bit like the dating game.
    That's a great analogy. Interviews are a exactly like dating. It's about getting to know each other and finding compatibility. I think that people sometimes forget that it's not always the most qualified person that gets hired. There can be a few more dimensions.
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You know, I agree and I disagree with the posts so far in this thread.

I agree that you should NOT list an in progress or expected completion date if it is a *REQUIREMENT* certification.

If it is not a requirement certification, it could only help you by listing in progress because it shows you have goals.

For Bachelors or Master degrees I would definitely list as in progress *ONLY* if it is not a requirement.

If you do not currently have the requirements for the job, don't apply. They list those for a reason you know.

*edit: I also think experience requirements are too strict. Why do people list things such as "10 years experience in windows server 2012 R2 Administration". This is ridiculous, like windows 2012 R2 has been out for 10 years or more.

If you don't meet the experience requirements but also know you can do the job, apply away. You better be ready to explain in your cover letter or to that recruiter why you think you can do the job though.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    True it's a lot like dating but a relatively long interview is often negative. If it takes you awhile to explain things, like me, it's a bad thing and I've been told it's a sign of inefficiency. If you have the ability to go into an interview and express you are the best fit for the position in a very concise and confident manner you'll probably land the job.

Guy I now work for had about a 10 minute interview and basically had the job when he left the room. How? He went in front of the owner quickly took control of the interview, showed some evidence why he's right for the position and asked for an example of a situation that he might be faced with and gave his resolution, interview over. This was for a director of a small company and it probably wouldn't work for most technical positions but the thing to take away from it is make your interview memorable in a good way.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)