Options

LF: Advice for my future career, still in school

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, i have to say these forums are definitely alot of help as well as a source of encouragement.

A little background:

Ive had the pleasure of going through a technology program for a non-profit organization in Detroit, MI. Its called Focus:HOPE , and i am allowed to get certifications in a few different areas of IT backed by donations for tuition, so no fee whatsoever is obligated on my behalf.

Current Certifications I have: Certified Business Professional, Office Word 2010, CompTIA A+, TestOut PC/Network Pro

Working on/Currently in Class: Network+ N10-006(already took the class, just taking this after all my server stuff), 70-687(taking this cert next week), 70-410(halfway through)

Next classes:70-411, 70-412

Have no experience in the field i KNOW i will have to start from the very bottom up, get my feet wet and actually learn hands on for awhile. But i am wondering where should i go?

Security and Virtualization really interest me but come january 2016 i will definitely be working as we have job placement coordinators on the ready so ill have to pretty much take whats available, again something very basic of course.

I was thinking when theres time taking the logical path everyone says, Sec+, and then possibly expanding into microsofts certification areas.

Then again they do offer another course after my server administration is done which is network administration and that offers: CCENT/CCNA and that entire certification and course is free.

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It sounds like you have an awesome opportunity, that quite a few people on this board would love to have. You've also proven that you can pass the exams, so it sounds like you are well on your track to success.

The advice I've heard most recently for people in your position of just starting out is: CCNA R+S, MCSA, VCP-DCV are the three to get, and cover probably 80%+ of entry to mid range support roles. I'd add Security+ to those. I'm not sure how things work in your part of the world, but ITIL and Project Management skills are also very good things to have since they help you solve the big problems and understand how it can all fit together.

Security and virtualisation, along with the cloud are safe bets for work now and in the future. Books are cheap, 2nd hand or borrowed. Based on where you are now, reading Sec+ and doing it without a class is probably achievable.

Get as much hands on experience as you can. If you can get your hands on a computer with 4+ cores and 16+ GB RAM, you can get a trial version of Vsphere to play with, which is a good path into Virtualisation. You can also use ESXi for free, which can form the base of a good lab.

The one problem I've found with the way courses like these normally work, is that they teach the subjects in isolation, but in the workplace you have to combine all those skills to solve problems. So, that is an area to try with yourself. Set up a server or two, a client or two, separate networks, firewalls, break and fix.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    It sounds like you have an awesome opportunity, that quite a few people on this board would love to have. You've also proven that you can pass the exams, so it sounds like you are well on your track to success.

The advice I've heard most recently for people in your position of just starting out is: CCNA R+S, MCSA, VCP-DCV are the three to get, and cover probably 80%+ of entry to mid range support roles. I'd add Security+ to those. I'm not sure how things work in your part of the world, but ITIL and Project Management skills are also very good things to have since they help you solve the big problems and understand how it can all fit together.

Security and virtualisation, along with the cloud are safe bets for work now and in the future. Books are cheap, 2nd hand or borrowed. Based on where you are now, reading Sec+ and doing it without a class is probably achievable.

Get as much hands on experience as you can. If you can get your hands on a computer with 4+ cores and 16+ GB RAM, you can get a trial version of Vsphere to play with, which is a good path into Virtualisation. You can also use ESXi for free, which can form the base of a good lab.

The one problem I've found with the way courses like these normally work, is that they teach the subjects in isolation, but in the workplace you have to combine all those skills to solve problems. So, that is an area to try with yourself. Set up a server or two, a client or two, separate networks, firewalls, break and fix.

Thank you soo much for your reponse Octal!

Yes i will definitely have to talk with the teacher who teaches the Network class, as well as most likely the head of the ITC who basically deligates wether we get into a program or not. The only issue i see is potentially the funders wondering why im not working with what i have so far. As far as my school is concerned i know that as long as their receiving donations/funding they would support me in continuing my education. That would be everything my school teaches if i went on to ccent/ccna.

Of course im not too familiar with ccent/ccna or vcp-dcv.. my computer currently is just an only MSI 890gxm-g65// phenom x II 3.4GHz 965 black edition amd cpu//and generic 8GB ram//samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd//corsair 700 psu//(NO VIDEO CARD :/)

so i could definitely see myself atleast upgrading to 16GB, upgrading my case, fans/cooler/, and video card.

but back to the subject yeah the way that this class is going its interactive distance learning meaning 95% of it is just online with lectures via skype business, and i only come in for midterms, and finals. works out nice for gas but i could see myself learning Sec+ on my own i think. you have to dedicate time and i think this course has taught me to do that.

i still have to get through everything i have going on right now but i really appreciate the advice and your thoughts! this is why i love these forums!!:)
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Yeah definitely complete the comptia trifecta if you're planning on taking N+. These are foundational certifications and they're great to have when applying to entry level service desk/help desk jobs (which is where most of us start out). Then you can delve into virtualization- like the other user mentioned, build a home lab, mess around and learn at the same time. It's great to see you're interested in virtualization especially because it's huge in today's world. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Im also still in school, but I'm starting an internship at IBM this Monday! It's a lot to do with configuring networks/servers so I'm pretty excited to get my feet wet and get that hands on experience. Once you start out at your first job, learn as much as you can and don't stop learning because it'll push you forward toward your end goal. Good luck my friend :)
  • Options
    Justin- wrote: »
    Yeah definitely complete the comptia trifecta if you're planning on taking N+. These are foundational certifications and they're great to have when applying to entry level service desk/help desk jobs (which is where most of us start out). Then you can delve into virtualization- like the other user mentioned, build a home lab, mess around and learn at the same time. It's great to see you're interested in virtualization especially because it's huge in today's world. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Im also still in school, but I'm starting an internship at IBM this Monday! It's a lot to do with configuring networks/servers so I'm pretty excited to get my feet wet and get that hands on experience. Once you start out at your first job, learn as much as you can and don't stop learning because it'll push you forward toward your end goal. Good luck my friend :)

Thanks Justin, yeah currently i just have hyper-v and im running a basic DC, 2-3 clients.. the lab is for the cbt powershell course for v2-4. the 70-687 and especially now these 70-410+ course/certs really emphasize on cmdlets so im trying to go through that as much as i have time for.

my father was expecting me to graduate january with the notion of getting a job because he wants to retire but he was still going to allow me to live here till i got enough stability at my first job/money. but i dont think he will have a problem with my taking everything i can from the opportunity and furthering my education as well as experience once i get into the field like you all.

i know i will have ALOT to learn and refresh up on but im hungry. and i dont ever wanna stop learning :)icon_study.gif