Options

Gaming dedicated servers question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I wanted to make sure I'm getting this right. For example a dedicated server for a game would be set up so that all those players in a certain lobby connect to it and then feed off the connection that those servers have where ever they're? Or is it when you connect to them you use your own connection to run your part in the game? As opposed to a peer to peer host connection where one connection in the lobby is selected and hosts the game.
I've never been clear on them.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    Hi, I wanted to make sure I'm getting this right. For example a dedicated server for a game would be set up so that all those players in a certain lobby connect to it and then feed off the connection that those servers have where ever they're? Or is it when you connect to them you use your own connection to run your part in the game? As opposed to a peer to peer host connection where one connection in the lobby is selected and hosts the game.
    I've never been clear on them.

Thanks for the help

The server is the main contact point in your example. The nodes/players connect to the server and the server synchronizes all the information. I don't exactly know how the synchronization happens, i guess it depends on the coding of the game and the setup of the server. That's why it's always good to connect to servers that have low latency and also other players have low latencies as well.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said...players have a connection to the server feeding whatever happens from your point of view....then the server processes the data and sends updates to the other player systems.