Options

Resume Title

echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick question on the resume title field (I scanned the resume do's and don't's thread but did not see this specific case mentioned)

On a resume, near the top, a lot of people are putting the job title they either currently hold or would like to hold/are applying for. ie; "System Administrator" or "Network Analyst" etc..

My situation is that I'm applying for something (Solutions Architect), which I have no direct experience doing. However, my experience in Tech Support with my current ISP, as well as my sales experience elsewhere leads me to believe I'd be a good fit based on my experience and skills.

This is an internal posting, so my reputation may already precede me and this may be a moot point, but I feel like putting "Solution Architect" as the title is lying, but I also feel like putting "Escalations Lead" is selling myself a bit short. I'm tempted to not have a title at all and jump right to the summary and then experience etc.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think having no title makes sense in this case. I don't think it helps much and in some cases hurts. I'm a sys admin that wants to get into networking but I only get pursued for system positions and I might remove the title.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)