Options

Circuit City Technician

Ive got a call back about a tech position at circuit city. I was looking to work there until a network / sys admin or support opened up in my area.

Does anyone here have any experience working as a tech at circuit city? Is the pay good? Were you an in store tech or a remote tech?

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TeedubyahTeedubyah Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would also like to know that. I thought about applying to the one by my house. What kind of questions did they ask during the intervew?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well ive applied online (which takes 30-45 minutes) and received a call for an interview. My interview is tomorrow so i guess ill find out then.

ill make another post and let you know what they say.
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    I would also be interested in this. I applied for Circuit City awhile back before and after I realized they had computer tech's in store. I also reapplied earlier this afternoon... Be sure to post what they ask you and your overall experience... Thanks.

- Joey
  • Options
    TeedubyahTeedubyah Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote:
    I would also be interested in this. I applied for Circuit City awhile back before and after I realized they had computer tech's in store. I also reapplied earlier this afternoon... Be sure to post what they ask you and your overall experience... Thanks.

- Joey

Have you applied to Best Buys, Comp USA, and other computer stores yet? I'm not big on putting together and fixing computers all day, but I understand its a stepping stone. I'd rather start out doing help desk Tier 1 or 2, but I haven't gotten any call backs yet. What has your experience been like so far?
  • Options
    Well i went to the first interview today. It went well ive got a really strong computer/network tech and several years of retail sales. The job not only entails comp tech but also some sales.

The interview went smooth...i dont practice up for interview questions but im really quick on my feet.

some rather basic questions like: if we called your employeer what would they say your strengths were.....your weaknesses?

and some odd ball questions for ice breakers like: if you were an animal what would you be.

I seem to hit it off with the IT manager so im probably up for round 2 of the interview process. Ill let everyone know in a week or 2.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    i used to be a tech at circuit city. if you really want to take the position, make sure they pay you right, $11+. You will mainly be working with upgrading, troubleshooting and removing viruses/spyware. Don't expect to just stand there when theres nothing to do. they will make you conduct in sales with emphasis in getting people to do in-store installs. for example, when someone is buying a laptop you would have to get them to buy antivirus software, upgrades such as ram or hard drive, an extra cd burner or dvd burner etc. I also got this job not having any experience in the field though i did know what I was doing. I didnt have an A+ certificate also. They did ask one technical question like, if a computer had an old antivirus program how would you install a new one on the same computer. email me if you have any other questions.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Teedubyah wrote:
    OpenSource wrote:

- Joey

Have you applied to Best Buys, Comp USA, and other computer stores yet? I'm not big on putting together and fixing computers all day, but I understand its a stepping stone. I'd rather start out doing help desk Tier 1 or 2, but I haven't gotten any call backs yet. What has your experience been like so far?

The nearest CompUSA is 1 hour away and 2 hours away, so they are out of the picture. As for BestBuy, I have also applied there as well, but I have yet to receive any response. In fact, read some of my other posts, I've applied for several places and I have only had one person talk to me and one interview. Both of which are unfortunately a bust. There is virtually no one to talk to with these larger companies. No one knows who is applying for what, when, where, etc...

- Joey \m/
  • Options
    cmbcmb Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am a tech at a circuit city now, i really didnt have much of an interview since i knew half the people that worked there (including some managers) and they all knew my experience and where i came from. we get all kinds of crap from people just really not knowing what they are doing to legitamate problems. alot of what we do is troubleshooting, replacing cd drives or hdd, transferring files from old pc to new pc or cd, restoring os and doing all the in-store installs that customers buy. i am not sure how some ccitys work, but mine cares about nothing but $$$. sale sale sale - sale freaking everything you can, add attachments to everything - thats about all they care about at the end of the day - how much did my dept make - not how many customers did we lose since they were jackasses about stuff - you get the picture!!
    as far as working there, i dont have a problem with it at the moment, but i am not planning on making a career out of it - just working here while i am in school
  • Options
    Basically im treating this as a temp job. I do not *enjoy* being a computer tech. After so long it just becomes boring, but i also need money till i get something better. I have worked in a few 500+ computer environments and after doing that much tech work you get sick of it all. So now i wait until either my GF graduates or a job in my area opens up.

But as stated earlier i will let everyone know how my CC interview process plays out.