Options

User Logon Confusion

cyclekingcycleking Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

So I would appreciate some better understanding on a user logon issue that I experienced in my lab today, here it is.

I created a user through powershell, New-ADUser and gave it all the required info, password, I did have to go into Set-ADUser and edit the -UserPrincipalName to the logon name I wanted. I did try the UserPrincipalName with and without the @domain.lab.
I also created a user through the GUI AD Users and Computers, again gave it all the required info.
I opened both properties boxes side by side and saw that everything was identical except the names.

Now the problem that I experienced was the user that I created with powershell required me to put my domain name at the end of the username i.e. cycleking@domain.lab, and the user that I created through the GUI didn't require the @domain.lab appended to the username.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cycleking

Comments

• Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    cycleking wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I would appreciate some better understanding on a user logon issue that I experienced in my lab today, here it is.

I created a user through powershell, New-ADUser and gave it all the required info, password, I did have to go into Set-ADUser and edit the -UserPrincipalName to the logon name I wanted. I did try the UserPrincipalName with and without the @domain.lab.
    I also created a user through the GUI AD Users and Computers, again gave it all the required info.
    I opened both properties boxes side by side and saw that everything was identical except the names.

Now the problem that I experienced was the user that I created with powershell required me to put my domain name at the end of the username i.e. cycleking@domain.lab, and the user that I created through the GUI didn't require the @domain.lab appended to the username.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Cycleking

Sorry if I'm missing the question, but this is my answer. When you create a user via GUI, you can see at the last step it does "append" it, kind of. One you create the user, it does give you that @domain info. It just doesn't require you to do it while you're creating it. It pretty much does it for you.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, UserPrincipleName in powershell is the equivalent of the "User logon name" in the GUI which the domain is automatically appended on the end in the GUI
  • Options
    So why would one user require the @domain in the username box and one user does not? So it would look like this.

User name: Testuser1@domain.lab
    User name: Testuser2
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    The @contoso.com would be used if you had a multi-domain environment. i.e. if you had a user logging in from rd.contoso.com user1@rd.contoso.com to a computer that was joined to the contoso.com domain. It would default to user1@contoso.com which is not correct since the user1 does not exist in contoso.com, he exists in rd.contoso.com. So you would use the full UPN user principal name of user1@rd.contoso.com so the login services would point to the right domain and domain controllers. For a single domain environment using the UPN or just the pre-2000 name it would not matter.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    @bohack

I only have one domain though, cycleking.lab. I just created two users one in PS and one in the GUI. When I run:

get-ADUser -Identity "User1" -Properties *

It shows that the UPN reads: User1 (without the @cycleking.lab)

So correct me if I'm wrong, if the UPN has ever had the domain appended to it, it will require it until you re-create the user?