Options

Default static route & EIGRP

AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
If we define a static route ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0 .......

To inform other routers in OSPF we have: default-information originate.

For EIGRP is there a similare command?
I've seen in some example the use of: redistribuite static
but it seems to me that is a very generic command to redistribuite ALL the static routes, not only the default one.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Route maps are not in the CCNA but you can do what you're talking about with a route map.

You can use either an access list or a prefix list and then call that in the route map

Access list:
    access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0

Prefix list :
    ip prefix-list example permit 0.0.0.0/0

Then your route-map:

route-map DEFAULTONLY permit 10
    match ip address prefix-list example

or

route-map DEFAULTONLY permit 10
    match ip address 1

then

redistribute static route-map DEFAULTONLY
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The description above is one of a few ways of doing this. You can also follow this lab and accomplish the same thing, but it would require much less work to accomplish.
  • Options
    AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ip default-network X.X.X.X
  • Options
    DCD wrote: »
    ip default-network X.X.X.X

This would only define a gateway of last resort for the local router. You would then need to redistribute it into EIGRP.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    james43026 wrote: »
    This would only define a gateway of last resort for the local router. You would then need to redistribute it into EIGRP.

It a crummy command but it will propagate through eigrp routes without needing to be redistributed as long as it in the routing table. The command will inject a static route which will show up as a D* in the routing table.
  • Options
    DCD wrote: »
    It a crummy command but it will propagate through eigrp routes without needing to be redistributed as long as it in the routing table. The command will inject a static route which will show up as a D* in the routing table.

EIGRP doesn't simply advertise the entire routing table. If you add a static route it must be added to the EIGRP process, VIA redistribution in the case of a static route.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Other than redistribution there is 3 ways:
    1. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0 + network 0.0.0.0 (under the router process)
    2. ip summary-address eigrp <AS> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <AD>, under an interface. Make sure the distance is higher than current default route so traffic is not blackholed.
    3. ip default-network <classful network>, network must be in topology default and will be set as candidate default
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Other than redistribution there is 3 ways:
    1. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0 + network 0.0.0.0 (under the router process)
    2. ip summary-address eigrp <AS> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <AD>, under an interface. Make sure the distance is higher than current default route so traffic is not blackholed.
    3. ip default-network <classful network>, network must be in topology default and will be set as candidate default

Number one is incorrect. Try it in a lab or on real equipment and you will find out this doesn't work. A static route must be redistributed into EIGRP or OSPF.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I tested this a long time ago in my lab. Check the metric of the route installed in the eigrp topology table is not set to inaccessible. If it is, it is usually because you are pointing the default route to a next hop IP instead of an interface.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com