Options

Can't Ping PC ---- SWITCH -- SWITCH to Router

lxrsdlxrsd Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings My fellow Scholars,
I'm Fairly New to networking and trying to understand things better. Using packet Tracer, I created a network Topology where I'm trying to ping one of the six PCs to the Router or by-versa. The problem is that is not working for me. Each PCs can ping each other but not the Router itself. Below is a Pic of the Topology. Can someone Explain to me the Default-Gateway functionality. To my understanding, the Default-Gateway suppose to be where everything gets dumped when a packet or frame can't find it's path. So I set the Default-Gateway (Router's Gi0/1) all PCs as Default-Gateway.

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is hard to see from the image, but what is the IP on your Gi0/1 interface? Keep in mind that hosts on the same network segment (IE same subnet) will not need to leave their network in order to communicate.
  • Options
    My IP on Router's Gig0/1 is 172.168.0.1/29. That same IP is the Default-Gateway for all the PCs. My Six PCs IPs are 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.50.6
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't have a default gateway with in a different subnet. If the PCs are not on the same network, they won't know how to get to that address, even if it is the default gateway. Make your router's G0/1 IP 192.168.50.254/24 and change all PCs to that default gateway. Then configure another interface on the router to have the 172.168.0.1 address, connect it to a switch and add some PCs to that switch. Put them in that subnet and make the 172.168.0.1 address their default gateway and try to ping a PC on a 192.168.50.X network.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lxrsd wrote: »
    My IP on Router's Gig0/1 is 172.168.0.1/29. That same IP is the Default-Gateway for all the PCs. My Six PCs IPs are 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.50.6

I would suggest the debug/simulation in PT that shows you what happens at each step. Where does the ping fail?

A hint: That interface of that router is on a separate network. Since it is the default gateway - how do the hosts know how to get there?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you are new the way to do it is either give the show outputs like "show ip interface brief" on the router or a like to the file so we can look at it.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. That Helped me understand things better.
  • Options
    I Figured it out. There was no Path for the host to get to the router. Thank You so much.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    To add a little further to this, the default gateway is another word for your routers inteface. Think of it litterally - A gateway to get out of the LAN. Hope this helps.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle