How come there's just help desk jobs out there?

bjm676bjm676 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So maybe I'm getting a little frustrated. I switched careers about 3 three ago, but I do have a lot of experience. I have my resume on all those job boards. How come everybody calls for just help desk positions? I'm tired of doing that. I want to advance my career and put my knowledge to better use in perhaps desktop support or in the networking field. So my question is....how long does the average person stay in the help desk position, before moving up?

Thanks.

Comments

• JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Well it's tough to say. Several variables come into play with advancement from help desk positions.

Some employers have the perspective that once you've been with the help desk for a while your sort of "locked" into that position. But that isn't the case everywhere.

Do you have any formal education, like college? Many employers now require some college to get into desktop support roles. It is common to see A+ certification matched with a 2-year Microcomputer degree for Tech Support Analysts. Help desk experience is also good at this level.

Network Admin is a little bit different, you generally should have mastered the desktop support role and already have some experience with LAN's. Usually a 2-year specialized or 4-year IT degree is required by employers for networking roles. Additionally Net+ and CCNA would be great to have as well. Desktop support experience that includes a little networking will benefit here.

Many people intern at a help desk and desktop support level to get into networking roles as well.

Hope this helps.
  • ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You better be contented about the fact,that you have opportunity to get IT job,even helpdesk one icon_wink.gif

You're in IT already,just keep on and try to be patient...I've learn that :D things take time,in life to get done!

Here is my situation:No IT job,no offers,even an interview in more than 3 years of seeking/applying in Norway.I don't have any degree ,just my high school and IT certs and I'm still keep my hope,and next year I intend to get my IT degree to have done,that ,too.

Certainly,in Norway if you are not blonde haired then the doors are opening much harder :D and a great samurai said in the 2nd WW time:"Denying that racism,doesn't exist is like denying that you need air ,to breathe!"
    Mess with the best,Die like the rest!
  • bjm676bjm676 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Judd wrote:
    Well it's tough to say. Several variables come into play with advancement from help desk positions.

Some employers have the perspective that once you've been with the help desk for a while your sort of "locked" into that position. But that isn't the case everywhere.

Do you have any formal education, like college? Many employers now require some college to get into desktop support roles. It is common to see A+ certification matched with a 2-year Microcomputer degree for Tech Support Analysts. Help desk experience is also good at this level.

Network Admin is a little bit different, you generally should have mastered the desktop support role and already have some experience with LAN's. Usually a 2-year specialized or 4-year IT degree is required by employers for networking roles. Additionally Net+ and CCNA would be great to have as well. Desktop support experience that includes a little networking will benefit here.

Many people intern at a help desk and desktop support level to get into networking roles as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

I went to a vocational school for training. My undergrad degree is far from computers (television/video). But that was ages ago. I found my calling.

I just want to get a little more hands-on experience rather than the everyday stuff of "my mouse doesn't work" etc. Maybe when I pass my Windows XP exam and become MCP, that will help with more opportunities.

Thanks for your help again. :D
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Any form of experience will benefit your goals. Even your degree that's outside of your career path says quite a bit about you to employers.

I think in your situation that certification is a good option. If you could end up with MCSA/MCSE or CCNA, or both depending on which way you want to go, that you have a fair chance at making it to those levels. I would definitely see about moving into the next Tier level of support as soon as possible, especially if you want to be an admin.

With your experience at help desk and certs you should be a worthy candidate for some desktop support roles. Try to get that experience under your belt and work on certifications at the same time. After about a year or so you should have an impressive resume that would fit the job your after.

There's always MCDST if you want to stay at the desktop support level as well.
  • TeedubyahTeedubyah Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [/quote]

Thanks for your help.

I went to a vocational school for training. My undergrad degree is far from computers (television/video). But that was ages ago. I found my calling.

I just want to get a little more hands-on experience rather than the everyday stuff of "my mouse doesn't work" etc. Maybe when I pass my Windows XP exam and become MCP, that will help with more opportunities.

Thanks for your help again. :D[/quote]

I also went to a vocational school and I also have my A+. Unlike u, I'm TRYING to get a help desk position but I can't seem to get any call backs. I mail out my resume to various companies everyday and nothing. I may end up working for a COMP USA or Best Buy
  • mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi bjm676,

I understand completely where you’re coming from. I’ve been support for Dell and now support for a healthcare company. I want to move away from phone support! Now I’d admit my current position is only about 60% phone support still that’s too much! When I worked at Dell it was 100% and after a year of that I wanted to hang myself with the phone cord.

Now I have some certifications, recently CCNA certified, which helped quite a lot for job interviews. I want a job such as, Network Analyst or Desktop Support or junior admin position. It seems after having these certifications it might open these doors.

I have had interviews with many major staffing companies in my area, it seems promising that I may be able to leave this role and head on up!

So my advice, get certified! Now! After putting CCNA on my resume I honestly got 6 calls the next day for positions, and interviews with staffing companies. Since I’m already a full time employee I get to pick and choose what I want :)

That’s my two cents, certifications!
    Marcus Williamson
  • bjm676bjm676 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mwill wrote:
    Hi bjm676,

I understand completely where you’re coming from. I’ve been support for Dell and now support for a healthcare company. I want to move away from phone support! Now I’d admit my current position is only about 60% phone support still that’s too much! When I worked at Dell it was 100% and after a year of that I wanted to hang myself with the phone cord.

Now I have some certifications, recently CCNA certified, which helped quite a lot for job interviews. I want a job such as, Network Analyst or Desktop Support or junior admin position. It seems after having these certifications it might open these doors.

I have had interviews with many major staffing companies in my area, it seems promising that I may be able to leave this role and head on up!

So my advice, get certified! Now! After putting CCNA on my resume I honestly got 6 calls the next day for positions, and interviews with staffing companies. Since I’m already a full time employee I get to pick and choose what I want :)

That’s my two cents, certifications!

Congrats on your CCNA, from what I've heard it's a difficult test. It's definitely something to strive for. Thanks for your advice. The MCDST is also something I could achieve as well. :)