Options

Public Trust Clearance questions

ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had an interview for a desktop support position the other day. If I get the offer, it will be contingent on passing all that is needed for Public Trust. The lady said they go back 5 yrs for employment, residence, criminal, and a credit check. (and a drug test) I am golden for all of that except maybe the credit part. Are there marks on your credit that can keep you from passing the background?

Comments

• Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm curious about this myself. My wife and I have struggled financially the past few years and while we pay all of our bills our credit has taken a hit. I know the DOD considers a low credit score a liability for bribery etc. but not sure how Public Trust Clearances work or what they even consider "low".
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It all depends what is wrong with your credit. Ask.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    The lady told me that they have been more lax on the credit part, the last few years. (due to the recession, markets, housing blowing up)
    Should I wait to ask until after our next step is finished? (final interview)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If your credit is really shitty..ask.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    okie dokie. :P

I did find out it is the SF85, not the SF86. So that might be better. lol
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The exact requirements are extremely hard to nail down. They look at the history and the why's behind everything. When your interviewer comes s/he will have a printout of your credit report and will ask you questions about each negative incident. A handful of missed bills a few years ago when you were laid off is no big deal. A string of missing payments every other month for years or $10,000 in credit card debt when you're barely making payments could be indicative of deeper problems like drugs, gambling, etc.

No one will be able to give you a solid answer, just don't worry about it, be 100% honest on all of your forms and to the investigator, and let OPM decide if they want grant the clearance after looking over the details.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    No one will be able to give you a solid answer, just don't worry about it, be 100% honest on all of your forms and to the investigator, and let OPM decide if they want grant the clearance after looking over the details.

I 100% agree.
  • Options
    guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On your eQIP that you will fill out specific (disqualifying) questions are asked...in regards to your credit. Have you filled for BK in the past 7 years. Are you past due on any students loans, etc etc. I don't think it is solely on your credit/FICO score (not saying they use them). Here is the break down, the credit report basically tells them if you're likely to take bribes or do anything for financial gain.

I don't know your situation and I am not asking your situation. But:
    If someone was past due 120 days on 2 credit cards total 50K
    Past due on a Sub Student Loan and UnSub student loan total 50K (not deferred)
    Personally I would consider them a risk to the organization. It is more about your RISK than anything else.....

Good News:

Public Trust is probably the easiest to obtain.

Bad News:

Credit is the number 1 reason fro denial. I know people who have had a DUI (in the past 2 years) and been arrested for other offenses and still have a TS/SCI. Honestly, I don't consider them a risk per se. If Ch-ina wanted you to hand over information, they would give you $. Money gets rid of bill. If you said you had foreign contacts, I would tell you do not even waste your time applying lol I know a guy who was working for the Peace Corp who went through HELLLLL because of foreign contacts

These are all facts. ..don't ask me how I know. It was not from a google search either
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Public Trust? Ah I wouldn't be concerned. All they'll do is a quick public records check to make sure you don't have anything glaring in your background. As long as you are current on all of your bills I truly wouldn't be concerned. Literally, Public Trust is barely a clearance.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Toxic DoverToxic Dover Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unless you're seriously in over your head and consistently delinquent and defaulting on your payments, you should be fine. I've gone through the process twice in the past year and a half (first time for Secret, second for Top Secret), and within the last 5 years I've had some pretty bad credit issues including chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, and I got my S and TS with no issues. Just be honest and up front with them; they're really looking for things you would try to hide and anything that could be used to blackmail you in return for sensitive or classified information. Cheers!