CCNA Security after CCENT

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am in a bit of a bind for time here.

I just passed my CCENT a couple days ago, and part of my degree is obtaining the CCNA and CCNA Security.

Considering the CCNA Security is retiring December 1st, and the new one will be out, how long does new material really take to surface?

I emailed my student mentor with my concerns since these are the only classes I really need, and with the day everything is times, would royally screw me by forcing me to take ANOTHER semester just for CCNA Security due to the time line that it might take for the new material to come out.

I asked if I should study for it now, if they will allow me, or if this class will be substituted by something else, or what is going on, and she is forwarding it to the director and we will go from there.

Has anyone taken this route before?
I know Cisco allows it now, but my question really is this:

Knowledge-wise, how much CCNA is within CCNA Security? Is it an absolute necessity to have the CCNA under your belt, again, knowledge-wise, in order to do well and understand all the security concepts, or is it strictly security protocols?

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not taken security yet, but intend to sit it next week. I can say in studying it I do see some overlap where R&S would help. Some of the concepts seem to make assumption that you have some R&S knowledge or a good basic understanding of networking in general. Some of the things that have made my security studies easier is understanding things like STP, ACLs, and switchport security. I actually put my NP studies on hold for security since they are revising it (I had already invested in study material for current). You did really well on your CCENT, so I don't think you would struggle with security without going for the R&S first. If you can pass it before the revision, I would do that. Otherwise go for R&S, then sit the new exam.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is the page where you can access study material for the new CCNA: Security exam.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/iins-v3/study-material

Some people have seen the new CCNA:Security book in some stores, but I can't find anywhere you can actually buy it online.

Edit: also, you can already schedule and take the new exam through Pearson Vue.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, just found a way you can read the new book free for 10 days!

go to https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ccna-security-210-260/9780134077857/

Select "Start Reading" in the upper right-hand corner > Then sign up for the 10 day free trial at the bottom. Just takes your email address, no CC required.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah cool thanks for that.

My mentor actually just got back to me and the course mentor told me to go ahead and get the routing and switching CCNA first and told me that the new material will be up by the time I finish ICND2.