- LPIC-1

which recommend?

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Linux essentials > LPIC1/Linux+ > LPIC 2

OR

Linux essentials > RHCSA > RHCE

Depending on how involved you want to go. I went the Linux+ route and wish I had gone with RHCSA. I see Red Hat at work more than anything else, and since it's a hands-on exam it's held in a higher standing where I work than Linux+. Too many people have used test **** for the Linux+ here for anyone to care that I have it.

Linux+/LPIC-1 is still a good cert if you put in the work, it will go through the basics of three different distro's so you'll learn the equivalents for different versions. It is outdated for the Red Hat items though, with the release of RHEL7 a few things have changed.

I personally wouldn't suggest taking the Linux essentials exam, it won't really help make you any money, but definitely study it if you haven't used Linux before. It's a great introduction to the operating system and will teach you the basics that most people are lacking. If all you want is the basics and it's just for yourself, not for a job, then you can go for essentials and you'll be doing really well compared to most.
  • Options
    tfmarquestfmarques Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Linux essentials > LPIC1/Linux+ > LPIC 2

OR

Linux essentials > RHCSA > RHCE

Depending on how involved you want to go. I went the Linux+ route and wish I had gone with RHCSA. I see Red Hat at work more than anything else, and since it's a hands-on exam it's held in a higher standing where I work than Linux+. Too many people have used test **** for the Linux+ here for anyone to care that I have it.

Linux+/LPIC-1 is still a good cert if you put in the work, it will go through the basics of three different distro's so you'll learn the equivalents for different versions. It is outdated for the Red Hat items though, with the release of RHEL7 a few things have changed.

I personally wouldn't suggest taking the Linux essentials exam, it won't really help make you any money, but definitely study it if you haven't used Linux before. It's a great introduction to the operating system and will teach you the basics that most people are lacking. If all you want is the basics and it's just for yourself, not for a job, then you can go for essentials and you'll be doing really well compared to most.

yes, i haven't used Linux before.
    i have install ubuntu on wmvare but only for see the system...command line , zip files ... never used.

you recommend Linux essentials and then LPIC1?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got done taking Linux Essentials and I enjoyed it and learned a decent amount from it. Pretty easy cert as long as you study for the test and cover the material, but as others mentioned probably won't do much good by itself on a job hunt.

I plan on studying for the LPIC-1 exams now and then after that RHCSA. I figure that the more times I study it the more it will be reinforced in my head and more likely stick.
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm trying to learn more Linux since Im moving toward the pen tester route. I have it on a few VMs, but I feel that's not going to force me to use it.
    I think I'm going to dual boot my mac and either use Ubuntu or CentOS. This way when I get stuck, I have to dig in and actually learn.

I was considering the certification, but I dont think the ROI on it is there compared to CISSP. While I'd love to take it to get the creds, I dont feel it will move my career forward much right now. Once I get the big boys done I'll go back for some Linux certs.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP