Options

How to become a Gentleman Gunfighter?

bhoopsbhoops Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm an old poop who wants to be like Paladin from "Have Gun Will Travel". As per the Wikipage, "Paladin may charge steep fees from clients who can afford to hire him, typically $1000 per job, but will provide his services for free to poor people who need his help."

This post is kind of an update to my old "Advice for a 45-year-old JOAT?". Not much has changed, other than I wrote some iOS apps that nobody downloaded. Except for my mom. And she gave them 1 star. I also moved from an apartment to a 17' trailer, to better survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

I think what I would like to do, before the Apocalypse, is travel around and help people. Probably with Information Security. Since I don't have a degree, employment at bigger companies is still problematic. I am thinking that with the right certifications, I could probably get a beginner InfoSec job somewhere, for a year or two, then work on building my own client-base. I don't particularly want to do application development, system administration, or my current "devops" type work.

The CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ look like a good place to start. I don't have any certs or degrees, but do have 30 years of MIS/IT JOAT experience. I feel like someone with a System Administration or Network Administration background would be a more natural fit for a InfoSec career, but having done a lot of application development might also be helpful.

So I'm thinking of getting some InfoSec skills, and maybe trying for a beginner-level job, and see how I like it. If I like it as much as I think I will, I should do well. If I could not do well within a company, I could start moonlighting and try to build up my own client-base.

Comments