Options

Wondering if I should go towards VMware or Cisco for next certs.

I have been doing desktop support work through various short term contract assignments for 3-1/2 years.

I recently got my CCT R&S, and am currently studying the VMware VCA6-DCV (data center virtualization) now. After getting this, I plan to go for the CCENT 2 part test, then ultimately the CCNA.

But I have been thinking, being that virtualization is an up and coming thing, maybe I should go for my VCP (second level VMware data center cert) before doing the CCENT.

But then again, potential data center employers might be more concerned about me having knowledge of the subnetting and networking training that comes from the CCENT / CCNA more than virtualization?

My goal is to make the jump from 3-1/2 years of desktop support work to full time data center jobs, primarily the admin / noc side of it. I have considered data center technician work, provided I can get into a decent size data center around here somewhere, but I have been on the hardware side for long enough in desktop support. I think that even though data center technician work might be a good first step, it is ONLY a step above desktop support, where I need to know about hardware and little more than that, than on the technical networking / admin side.

So what do you think? Focus more on the CCENT / CCNA combo or VCP virtualization? Ultimately, I think I will need both the VCP and CCNA, but which one first, that's the question.

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The magic triads are: Network+, A+, Security+ and then CCNA, MCSA, VCP.

Virtualisation is here, 5 years ago it was the up and comer, but these days its common enough to make it to (almost) required knowledge. The VCA is probably good enough for most entry level and day to day admin type roles. What is growing, and a good bandwagon to jump on now, is network virtualisation.

Probably, CCNA is the safer of the two, but since your getting VCA, I would wait and see how that goes. You'll have a good idea which is going to be the easier/quicker path.

Part of the consideration also is what kind of roles you are getting, likely to get. It might be overkill to get Engineering qualifications (MCSE, VCAP) if the roles are just moves, adds, changes.

Although you aren't asking about it, some kind of OS knowledge needs to be in the mix, A+ or Linux+ or MCSA Windows 7/8 or Server. Depending on where you go, you might get away without the certification, but you'll still need the knowledge. The Server certs are a good compliment to CCNA.

Just my advice. And my advice about advice is to get a lot of it from as many places as you can. What I say might not fit you.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have any experience with either? If so, go for that first. I've read the VCA certs are pretty low level, companies would probably look more for VCP which can get expensive due to the course requirement. One workaround is get CCNA and VCA and they'll waive the VCP course requirement.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I was poking around on the VMware site for information on the VCP6 level courses, and I came across this:

https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64178&ui=www_cert#tab-migration

Under item 2, for required training courses, I selected the first one, for install, configure, and manage.

Then it starts talking about how the price is 40 VMware Credits, so I go to the VMware store, and these "credits" are $100 EACH!!!

VMware, are you out of your mind?!?!?! FOUR F@CKING THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A VCP TRAINING COURSE?!?!??! Then I have to pay for 2 exams after that to actually pass the thing! Uhhhh.... No.

Then I checked the other courses available that can be used as the required training, and they weren't any better, some were 6000 or 7000 dollars for a 5 day course!!!

I could get 3 CCNAs and a CCNP for less than $4000! Maybe.

Well, this choice just got made for me. I like the idea of virtualization and would like to learn more, but no way am I spending what would amount to nearly 5 grand on getting a VCP6-DCV!!!

They'd need to give me some severe discounts, like 99% off for veterans or something.

EDIT - techfiend, I just realized what you meant by getting the VCA and CCNA first to avoid paying $4000+ for that training course. Yeah, that is the ONLY way a VCP is gonna happen for me. Aside from the minor problem of them wanting you to have 6 months hands-on time and that isn't as easy to come by without a job doing it.

But even if I got the training course waived, how am I supposed to pass the exam? Got to get training somewhere.

This makes me want to research what a VCDX costs.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    VMware, are you out of your mind?!?!?! FOUR F@CKING THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A VCP TRAINING COURSE?!?!??! Then I have to pay for 2 exams after that to actually pass the thing! Uhhhh.... No.

Yeah, so there's other options. There is the path that techfiend mentioned. I think that's the path for VCP-NV that doesn't require attending a course if you have CCNA/CCNP/CCIE R+S or DC. Once you have a current VCP (or higher) certification, you don't need to attend training to get further VCP (or higher) certs.

If you do take the path that requires attending a course, then you just need to attend one course, get VCP, and not worry about it for as long as you stay current with your certs.

If you want to take the course, but want a cheaper option, then there are few places that are VMware Academies that generally offer the training much cheaper (like 40% cost cheaper), and also give a discount voucher for the exam. I did it that way, and it was much less than half the total cost of the alternative.

VMware's rationale for the compulsory training is to ensure that all VCPs have hands on experience of the tool. Also by putting the financial bar in place it discourages people who aren't that serious. The other thing is that the course alone is not sufficient to pass the exam, you still need to study and make sure you cover all the objectives.

It's a worthwhile cert, but one you wouldn't get on a whim. I'd been using VMware for more than 2 years when I got certified, so knew that it would be useful.
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    This makes me want to research what a VCDX costs.

Surprisingly cheap. There's an application fee and a registration fee. I think all up it's $1200. I think that you need to go to VMware location for the test/defense. Looking at their website they are runnning in three locations worldwide. So, you'd have to add on travel costs.

There are very few people with this cert. At the moment it is rarer than CCIE. Just 202 worldwide. You are basically guaranteed a job, paying lots of filthy lucre.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    It has got to be one tough test if there's only 202 of them. I think there's more Juniper experts than that.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can always get on the waiting list for Stanly Community College's course. However, there are a few states that they aren't allowed to accept students from. Also, I heard there is a VMware user group were you can get accessto products at a discounted price.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've read the vcp courses mainly go over the study guide. Many have passed it with just self study.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)