Options

VMWare, HyperV

WhistlestopWhistlestop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see a lot of jobs advertised requesting "some" experience in HyperV and VMWare. I've not used this software before but I am familiar with oracle virtualbox. I recently lost my job so am trying to gain a few extra skills.

can anyone pleasegive me an overview of HyperV and VMWare does? a sort of idiots guide or point me in the right direction.

Can anyone tell me or suggest what an employer is likely to be looking for in these skill areas? why would a company use VMWare or Hyper V?

What would be the best way to learn these skills?

thank you.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well much like VirtualBox it's a management console to run multiple virtualized machines. You can probably run a few searches in youtube on how to setup some basic machines in vsphere or hyper v. Best way to learn is just to do it.
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    If you'd like to learn about VMware, pick up a VCA book on Amazon. You'll see VMware ESX over Hyper-V 90 percent of the time.
  • Options
    rhinotxrhinotx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you'd like to learn about VMware, pick up a VCA book on Amazon. You'll see VMware ESX over Hyper-V 90 percent of the time.

^This. Also check out Virtualization Forums

I use vSphere 6 at work and use Workstation at home.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You can get VMware AND HyperV for free. VMware has a time limited full feature period, and then reverts to a core ESXi install which is still usable. HyperV you can either get trial of Windows Server with HyperV or download Hyper-V server.

There's a ton of resources out there now to learn. Everything from idiots guide to official certification books. VMware have free Online Labs that you can use to go through features and learn.

The learning curve isn't too big to just get something up and running, but both have quite large feature sets, so mastery takes a lot of effort.

VMware is the big force in serious scaled virtualisation deployments, and has a dedicated certification track that goes from 'associate' through to expert.

The MCSA Server 2012 covers HyperV, but there are also HyperV dedicated certifications. HyperV is just part of the virtualisation options from MS. If you already have Windows Server running and Windows server trained staff, then it is a low cost option.

Why virtualise? There's a heap of benefits, like better resource utilisation, lower hardware costs, greater flexibility, faster restores, less downtime, faster deployment. All of this means money savings.

One of the very cool things you can do with both, is take a running VM and move it from one computer to another while it is still running. This means you can power down a box and do hardware upgrade or complete replacement, and not actually need to shutdown the virtualised server.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM