Options

Resume to show "Currently studying" for?

DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you list a cert that you are currently working towards on your resume?

Do you list the cert and then say "Currently studying"? how do you word it?

thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, I used this neat little feature called "Search"... Feel free to delete post

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA (in progress) is what I use.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't have the cert, don't put anything...

school is a different story, you can say currently attending, or anticipated graduation xxxx...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your resume is a list of your accomplishments, not things you may or may not achieve at some point in future

Put if your cover letter if you really want to show what you are working on
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    It's helped me get interviews when I write the cert in progress on my resume. Just today I secured an interview for a position requiring MCSA and CCNA. I applied 2 weeks ago with CCNA on my resume and MCSA (in progress). I don't think I would have been contacted without listing the MCSA. It's a position I previously applied for a few months ago when I had CCNA (in progress). This is just one of a dozen or so interviews where I didn't have a required cert but wrote it was in progress. It began with the A+ (in progress), that's when I really started getting callbacks.

I see the purpose of a resume to get an interview. It should make you look as qualified as possible to HR without lying. Considering a lot of HR loves certificates, this is definitely a way to do it. During some of the interviews they've asked when I plan to have it and when I say within a month they are impressed. At entry and mid-level a lot of places are looking for quick learners with drive. This is a great way to show it.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Things you're "working on" are useless to me. Case in point at my work - a guy applied for a level 2/3 support role with a+, network+, some microsoft certs, etc. didn't get the job. 6 months later applied for a security role with security certs preferred but not required. his new resume indicated all of a sudden he was "in progress" for both security+ and cissp. It's easy to lie and say you're working on something, so I personally totally disregard these. If you do put them in and get an interview with me, be prepared for me to grill you to see exactly how well your "in progress" is actually going.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my current role with "Currently working towards CCNA" in my CV.

In the interview, they had mentioned that they liked I was working towards it. The role was initially customer care role in a NOC but has morphed into a technical role.

I was going to college for this. If I was self-studying I would be a little hesitant putting it down, or rather "an interest in gaining the CCNP and studying scripting in general".
  • Options
    Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about someone who completed a portion of the cert...lets say 1 or 2 exams of CCNP certification or 70-410 and 70-411 of MCSA?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Muhammed H wrote: »
    How about someone who completed a portion of the cert...lets say 1 or 2 exams of CCNP certification or 70-410 and 70-411 of MCSA?

Yeah, I think that's probably fair enough. But it depends on the job, what you are actually doing to get the cert, what the cert is (how relevant), and what the employer is like. Clearly some are going to make that snap judgement that "working towards" is wasting their time, some are going to be interested, and some might think "good to see they are doing something".

Get the interview, talk about what you're doing, if they don't like it, it probably wouldn't have worked out.

Always tailor your CV to the job. Do a cover letter. Talk about your studies and certs in the interview. Personally, I would be interested in what studies you were currently doing and where you'd like to go. I think people who are actively improving themselves are probably better workers.

Context.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a fan of doing it. When I've seen it on resumes it's just really "meh". I know people that have been "working" on basic CompTIA certs for a year and a half so it really doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I don't put them on there and generally ignore when people do put them on there. (the fact it is on there not the resume as a whole)

That is something that can be brought up in an interview but your resume is supposed to sell me on giving you an interview. Generally each resume gets 30 sec to 60 sec of viewing time unless it catches my eye. Then it will get a further read.

Tell what you have on paper and tell me in person what you are striving for.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I don't put them on there and generally ignore when people do put them on there. (the fact it is on there not the resume as a whole)

That is something that can be brought up in an interview but your resume is supposed to sell me on giving you an interview. Generally each resume gets 30 sec to 60 sec of viewing time unless it catches my eye. Then it will get a further read.

Tell what you have on paper as tell me on person what you are striving for.

Great way to put it. 100% agreed.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do put in progress. When I was working on CCNP Security I listed which exams I had passed and which one was next. I currently have CEH as in progress with the mindset that when someone sees that I completed CISSP and GCIH this year they will know I am knocking that out soon.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »
    I do put in progress. When I was working on CCNP Security I listed which exams I had passed and which one was next. I currently have CEH as in progress with the mindset that when someone sees that I completed CISSP and GCIH this year they will know I am knocking that out soon.

And that is great context. By putting them together, you are showing a stream of progress and demonstrating that you actually do get certs, so when you saying you are working on x, they will be more likely to believe it. The constant self improvement is something that at least some employers will value. Hopefully more than will think "cert chaser" or "likely to leave after a year".

The other times I think it might be worth adding is where it is explicitly asked for. I sometimes see job listings that say something like "Candidate should have MCSA and a desire to work towards MCSE". Some employers like to grow staff in house, since it can be cheaper for them. The other time I think it's worth listing is when it is listed as 'desirable' eg "Must have CCNA, degree, Security+, 1 year experience in NOC environment. CCNP a plus". So, in that instance you said that you had started working towards CCNP, or better yet, passed SWITCH and had a date for ROUTE, you'd be better placed.
  • Options
    If I was an IT hiring manager I'd expect someone working towards a cert to be more knowledgeable on the subject then someone who passed it years ago and never applied it. I would also prefer someone that's growing and trying to improve vs. someone who has been complacent.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only in a few cases would I put that Im working towards a cert.
    Like if you had done the CCIE written, or completed 2 out of the 3 CCNP exams or something.

But in most cases just put it in your cover letter or mention it during the interview. But dont put it on your resume.

However I would put college degrees that you have not finished yet on there.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would never put a cert that isn't complete on a resume. If I get a resume that has one listed as "in progress", I either completely ignore it or grill it during an interview just to make sure the candidate really is "in progress". Studying or a cert should be mentioned in an interview or cover letter, not resume.
  • Options
    jt2929 wrote: »
    Studying or a cert should be mentioned in an interview or cover letter, not resume.

I don't get the difference between putting it in a resume or your cover letter, particularly if you are listing what you are doing by date. This might just be one of those cultural differences. The old fashioned CV was pretty much a time line of your career (work, training, major milestones and accomplishments), but that has fallen out of fashion a bit. In that context, listing what you are currently doing seems consistent.

To me the cover letter is where you address their specific requirements and highlight the things you think make you worthy of consideration, so yeah, you can put 'studying towards' in there if you like. Actually, talking of cover letters, they can vary quite a bit, too. Like if you have a whole application pack, your cover letter is probably going to be more brief than if it is just cover letter + resume.

I still say tailor both your resume and cover letter to the job. If that's all they are giving you to get the interview, then give it your best shot.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if there is a difference between the US and the UK but here in the UK I've been putting 'working towards CCNA' on my CV and generated a lot of interest/interviews I probably wouldn't have got without mentioning it. I have a lot of experience in various tech but not many certs so know I need to get some sorted and showing/proving I am working towards required certs gets you a ticket to the gig it seems.

Also my degree is not IT related at all but the various skills you can demonstrate often opens up opportunities and is always a good talking point in interview- and you need to build up that rapport with those hiring you!
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As long as you truly are working towards that cert and you're comfortable with the material then I say go for it. I want people to grill me on the subject I've been studying so hard on- heck, with the way the material changes on these exams they may even learn a thing or two :)
  • Options
    The cert itself is mostly good for passing the initial screening. If you can't get by that, which is often a resume check, there's no chance of discussing it in an interview.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Candidate for BS Computer Science - Dec 2015
    Candidate for CISSP - March 2016

just some examples and depends on position looking for