Options

No IT experience; what to study?

TechZooTechZoo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I want to learn IT for a living, starting out fixing home computers. What should I study? A general degree or diploma in IT?

Any help would be appreciated.

TechZoo

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd look into computer science for a degree, you can minor in a specialization but at the heart of most IT careers is programming/scripting. Computer Science is also the most highly regarded of the degrees.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll second that degree option: if you're going for an Associates(2-year) or Bachelor's(4-year), computer science is the best option available. While it may not seem like it while you're studying, the coding and in-depth software background will help you in IT. If you're unsure of what, exactly, you want to do, go to your local community college and start on an AS, then you can look at other options moving forward.

As for certifications, that's going to depend largely on what you're interested in. If you want to get into systems and servers, then something like CompTIA's A+ or starting with Microsoft's desktop or server support certs is a good choice. If you want to dive into networking, the CCNA is your best bet. There are also a wide variety of Linux and programming certs out there, and much more. Figure out what general topic interests you, and start from there.

In an ideal world, a successful candidate will have both a degree and some certifications, (especially if you're lacking experience.) How much time and effort you want to invest in your career is up to you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechZoo wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to learn IT for a living, starting out fixing home computers. What should I study? A general degree or diploma in IT?

Any help would be appreciated.

TechZoo

How old are you? What other degrees or schooling do you have? Why do you what to do IT, what interests you about IT?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Look at an associates or bachelor's in computer science.

Get your A+ first and land that help desk role and branch out to specialization after that (CCENT/CCNA or MCSA, etc)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If starting out fixing home computers, the obvious choice is support/infrastructure. You'll want a bit of hardware, a bit of networking, a bit of client OS, and then a bit of server, a bit of security, and a bit of virtualisation/cloud. You can start down that track by self study.
    Read, try, break, fix, read. If you are working, then the 'break' part will be done for you.

A+, Network+ to start and then Server+, Security+ or the similar associate offerings from MS, and try either/both HyperV/VMware, get a trial AWS account. You can get a lot of stuff cheap or free. Books new or 2nd hand, ebooks, Youtube, udemy, lynda, etc. Trial versions of MS stuff from technet, trial version of VMWare, trial AWS (cloud). If you have a half decent computer, you can run most of the lab on that. You can also pick up 'last seasons' Cisco gear for cheapish if you want to try some hands on.

You don't need to sit all the certification exams, but you will need to know your stuff. The certification books, videos, courses are just convenient ways to get a particular domain of knowledge covered reasonably comprehensively.

All that is stuff you can do without worrying about signing up for a course and then discover you don't like it, or it wasn't what you thought, or it wasn't a good course.

Community college is probably the next choice. The good thing is you can generally get some kind of credit for previous study or certifications. Even if you don't get full credit, if you have some knowledge of the subject going in, it will be easier.

If you are 100% positive for certain, and are academically inclined, then Comp Sci or Engineering are the serious choices, but they take smarts and effort, and don't reward too well if you drop out, but they will take you a long way from "fixing home computers".
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why is bachelors in CS preferred over bachelors in IT?
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Depends where you want to go. A college degree is only necessary if your goal is to get a high level position somewhere. The majority of IT positions that pay more/ are higher up so to speak, typically require a degree although most applications will say experience can be substituted. Personally, I've dealt with so many "college" kids that dont know jack squat, I'd rather have someone with certs than a degree but I'm not a corporation.

Identify your career goals, be more specific.

I would recommend pursuing certs while getting your degree if you do not know which field you want to be in. You can learn more at home with the right equipment than you will when you get out of college. Im not against college in any way, but it is not necessary depending on your goals.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Degrees are being required by more and more places, even for entry-level and mid-level positions. If you want to go towards networking/systems/virtualization/etc, I'd recommend one of the IT BS degrees at WGU since you get some certs also.

To get admitted though, you'll need a cert. MTA or CIW certs are the easiest but you'll want to make sure they accept them. A+ is probably the most ideal since you have a shot at getting a job somewhere with that and it'll get you enrolled.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    v1ral wrote: »

Generally a more open degree such as computer science you can find at any college. Both online and brick and mortar.

More specific degrees (example I have one in Computer Internetworking Technologies) unless I want to go online for a 4 year degree the closest place to me that has a 4 year degree in this is Purdue.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

It's just better. It's a better developed degree and more challenging (usually). If you complete CS you can usually go on and study a bunch of other things without major hassle.

Although if you end up going for CS, consider becoming a Developer. A good developer will earn more than a good IT technician (at least at early-medium career level).

If you want to do other things in IT, go for A+ and Net+, Sec+ and maybe CCENT and then see which subjects you liked the most. After you decide then keep moving on in that field
    meh
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get your degree first. Trying to get a job and later a position with nothing but paper certificates will only hold you back.

- b/eads
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's kind of difficult to justify CS being a more relevant degree than numerous other IT degrees but it's seen a higher-level degree. I know there's a lot of high level math involved like calculus which isn't very relevant in IT except developing.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Degrees+Certs+experience = IT Trinity
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722

It does depend a bit on the specifics of the program, but generally Computer Science deals with more abstract concepts, and Information Technology degrees are more concrete. Abstract reasoning is a higher level, and maybe higher value skill. The assumption is that if you can do the higher level stuff, you should be able to do the lower level stuff.

The reality in IT, is a lot of the specific information you learn is obsolete within 3-5 years. So it's constant learning. The hope is that the Comp Sci graduate is better at learning, and will be able to use their powers of abstraction to pick up the new techs quicker.

One example I was given comparing the training of Engineers with Technicians is that technicians are given a big bag of tricks to solve most of the problems they are likely to encounter eg when you have problem A, use solution 4. On the other hand Engineers are taught from first principles. The end result is that often the Technician can be quicker to solve a problem, but gets stumped on something novel, but an Engineer should be able to use their training to solve any problem (or at least demonstrate why the problem can't be solved).

Having said that, technicians still make good money and good technicians are often better than bad engineers. I think it is the same sort of thing with a B CS vs a B IT or B Networking Administration.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TechZooTechZoo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm back. Thanks for the replies and information everyone.

My situation: I'm working with an employment agency to find IT work. They're going to train me, paying my tuition in full and with no cap on tuition. They're also covering transportation costs, parking, hotel and food if required. The only catch is that they don't fund four year degrees, and where I study must be PCTIA (Private Career Training Institutions Agency of B.C.) Accredited. I'm from British Columbia, Canada.

Any suggestions since they won't fund a four-year degree? (and I can't afford to get one?)

I'm also legally blind and with other health problems, but I don't see computers as posing a problem with the right adaptive tech and doing things by feel.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is actually a REALLY broad question lol. Do you have an idea of the kinds of things that interest you about IT? Is it systems? Storage? Security? Data? Hacking? Hardware? Cloud? Virtualization? Programming? Networking? Mobile Devices? Apps? Games? Performance? QA?

As a first step, I'd suggest just browsing around and learning about all the various IT positions that exist. Job boards will help with this. Just get a feel for what you think sounds interesting or could be something that you might be interested in. Then it will be much easier to direct your interests along a career-path. If you're 100% unsure, then a CS degree is probably the most valuable general degree you can get.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)