Options

Burnout Syndrome...Any Tips?

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
So it is my 2nd day back in college, and as I sit here typing this, a few things cross my mind:

1. My instructors told us yesterday that out of 20 Year 2 students, only 8 have graduated this past year.
2. I've learned that alot of people experience burnout syndrome during college/university, and many drop out because of it.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to best study multiple technologies per day? Even if anyone has a story of an experience they had similar while in college would be helpful. Currently, we are starting with Configuring Windows 8.1, then moving into Cisco in November.

Thanks.
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey man I'm in college too and today was my 2nd class. I have a very hectic schedule. For example I worked yesterday from 9am to 5am, then had class from 7pm to 10pm. This morning, I had to be back in class at 7:30am and I have work 10am to 6pm. Right now I am doing a networking course geared towards the CCNA exam, and a digital forensics course, on top of that a history class online. I work Monday through Friday. On top of that studying for my CEH. So the best thing to do is make sure you get the most sleep you possibly can. Use your time wisely, instead of watching tv, or surfing the internet, study instead. You can also try studying one subject on Monday, and another on Tuesday, etc. Good luck with this semester!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    So when I did my associates I did accelerated classes. 6pm - 10pm 2 days a week for 8 weeks per course and an occasional 8 hour class on saturday.

My sanity was finding a way to find interest in what I was learning and tweak with it. Learn ways to mess with it. Before I knew it the class was over and on to the next. I always reminded myself what the greater good of the courses was.

So x people dropped out. Sucks for them. Show them you aren't one of those people :)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The people that I know that dropped out fit into 3 categories:

1. didn't really care to be there in the first place
    2. did not know what major they really wanted to go for (usually ended up going for just a random one)
    3. were lazy

No one forces anyone to go to college. People have to really want to be there, have a specific goal in mind, and know it is going to require a lot of hard work and not always be easy.

As long you are prepared and realize that, you shouldn't be worried about any statistics your instructor gives. All the hard work will be worth it in end. Best of luck with your classes! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you considered an online school? That helped me a ton. I don't think I would have graduated if I had gone to a traditional college rather than something online. WGU allows you to accelerate your learning and do it from anywhere. A change like that may help if you're working 40+ hours a week like I am. Allowing me to do that helped prevent me from feeling burnt out since I could still be at home or even do schoolwork at work when I had downtime.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I learned the hard way when I was your age that if you don't wake up and look forward to your studies or job then you will lose interest, burn out or your grades will suffer.

The phrase "find something you are passionate about and you will never work a day in your life" definitely rings true...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Do your best to find some balance in school and part time work. I'd also suggest a good exercise regime as that will help you deal with the stress. It's been a while since I was in school (University of Waterloo in Canada) but I found even 30 minutes a day working out helped me. And it prepares you for life in this career which often has no work-life balance at all.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the feedback. I have considered WGU, however, living in Canada, I don't believe they reach out all the way up here. I am pretty serious about getting this Diploma. I found out today that one of the year 2 students was extending his 2 year studies into 3 years (the college allows a max of 5 years to get your diploma if needed). He told me that hes taking all of his Microsoft courses this year, then next year it will just be the 4 part Cisco curriculum.

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing that motivated me was knowing that the only thing that sucks more than taking classes you don't like or have an interest in is taking them twice.
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    The people that I know that dropped out fit into 3 categories:

1. didn't really care to be there in the first place
    2. did not know what major they really wanted to go for (usually ended up going for just a random one)
    3. were lazy

No one forces anyone to go to college. People have to really want to be there, have a specific goal in mind, and know it is going to require a lot of hard work and not always be easy.

As long you are prepared and realize that, you shouldn't be worried about any statistics your instructor gives. All the hard work will be worth it in end. Best of luck with your classes! icon_study.gif

Definitely not the best explanation. My dad died, so I dropped out. Ended up going back a few semesters later. Does that make me lazy?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely not the best explanation. My dad died, so I dropped out. Ended up going back a few semesters later. Does that make me lazy?

To quote myself.... "The people that I know that dropped out" icon_rolleyes.gif didn't say "These are the 3 reasons everyone drops out of college"

I don't know a ton of people that dropped out of college but those were the reasons I found that the people I knew did. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd give you guys an update. I talked to a friend of mine whos going into her 3rd year of Nursing. She says that reading over a days notes in the evening helps while memorizing from flash cards. Also, my relative suggested to try watching TV for an hour for study breaks (shes a recent graduated Pharmacy Tech) before diving back into the books. I can see how other career areas require less social life in order to get to where you want to be.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey I was in your shoes just a few months ago but I graduated with my degree and did my certs and worked at the same time and I burned out unfortunately. Trust me, if you are burned out, your body will feel weak and can't leave your bed. Your body will feel weighted down and you will crave sugar like crazy to keep going. Does that happen? Are you sleeping at least 8 hrs a night? Don't neglect yourself of the essentials (food, water etc.) Every person's sleep needs vary. Make sure if you are experiencing burnout to not eat sugar it will make things worse! Eat a high protein meal and drink water! I don't think this is burnout personally, I think you may have some anxiety because of what you heard about your program. Don't give up now and quit. If you have burnout, you will experience personal symptoms like hopelessness, depression, etc. I hope this helps you out. Just make sure you don't fall behind in your class studies and put certs aside while in school. You can do it!

In regards to studying multiple technologies at the same time, pace yourself don't expect to cram it all in quickly. Ask questions in class to get clarification. Look on Youtube or Udemy for supplemental videos from your textbooks. That is what I did when I was covering Cisco networking in my IT classes. I got an A- that semester for the class and passed my CCENT. Spend your weekends during the day studying the material and keep your nights to yourself. You are in college and you should have some fun. Just play it safe until your 21 icon_cool.gif or since you are in Canada I think it is 19 icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif. jk. Keep your braincells alive!