Options

Need advice on reapplying at a company for a data center job.

I have somewhat of a predicament. A few years ago, I had a desktop support job at a company that runs a big data center not too far from me. At the time, I was doing pretty basic level desktop support for $12 an hour (ridiculously low pay!), but I was just getting started in IT work at the time and took what I could get.

A few months later, I had a chance for a better desktop support job at a 50% pay raise, and I took it. I gave this prior data center company the full 2 weeks notice and left on good terms.

Now it is a couple years later. I've got 3-1/2 years Desktop Support experience, I recently got my CCT Routing & Switching, am about to get the VMware VCA, and will be starting the CCENT after I finish the VCA.

I have reapplied to this company over the summer, but am being blocked by an obviously clueless HR department. I met them at a job fair in June, before I got my CCT, but I don't think they took me seriously.

Now, at the data center, I was on good terms with the IT director who is still there. I had the idea to mail my resume and a cover letter to him directly, as his is one of the very few names I remember from the place, but I wonder if that might be perceived as too stalker-ish and would be blown off and told to apply through the HR department like everyone else.

I guess I should just give it my best effort and mail the IT director a letter directly. If he says I'm in, then I am in, thus bypassing the clueless HR department who doesn't have my best interests as a priority.

Any thoughts on this?icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always use your connections. If you got along with the guy, then send away. I would make it a very respectful letter and hope for the best. Also, if you're not short on funds too badly, maybe invite him to lunch in your letter.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't send a letter or an email no matter how well crafted it might be. You must first re-establish the connection with the person you know. Send a friendly email or make a friendly call if you have the number and politely mention that your eye caught an open position at the IT department and try and test the waters. If the initial contact goes well, then pounce on it and say that you are very much interested and ask if he would take a look at your resume and mention that now you have more experience and you can offer more to the company than you did in your past role in this new position
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    I had the idea to mail my resume and a cover letter to him directly, as his is one of the very few names I remember from the place, but I wonder if that might be perceived as too stalker-ish...
    Well done! This is what networking is all about icon_smile.gif No it's not stalker-ish in the least. A couple of things.

I would not email the resume or a cover letter. I would start with an more informal approach.
    1. ask him if he remembers you and reference how you may know him.
    2. Tell him that you a little what you have done since you left and that you learned about a position that you are interested.
    3. Explain why you miss the place and why you want to return.
    4. Keep it short <- this is hard to do but be concise if you can.
    Depending on the company - do not try to bypass HR. The trick is to try to get him to refer you to HR. Remember HR supports the business.

Good luck.