Options

Ideas to escape boredom from work

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I get sooooooo bored of work unless there is some new and exiting technology or project on the horizon. Once I master it, I am again bored out of my mind. I have tried different certs, but get about half way through before I abandon them because I don't see their usefulness.

I like IT and even enjoy my job, but struggle finding things to do that I like (even though there are things that need to be done at work).

If it is not something new and exciting, I have a hard time staying focused on it. I will literally be doing a task for work and be thinking in the back of my mind, "I wonder about this...What cert would be good for this...What am I going to be doing this evening...etc" and as soon as I find something that seems interesting I abandon the work I was doing lol.

Any tips or tricks from people that feel the same way?

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you would probably be a good fit for one of those contractor types who go out to different sites rather than just support one site?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Think about how bad life would suck without a pay check. All the motivation I need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Sounds like you would probably be a good fit for one of those contractor types who go out to different sites rather than just support one site?

Hmmm, that's a good point. I work alongside contractors and they do projects that last no longer than a year max. They stay employed by the same company but go from here to there on different contracts.

@Networker
    Some homeless do live pretty interesting and exiting lives.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    a new, more intense position?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Feel the same way.

I been learning python more and more to help automate my job and it has been keeping me busy and been fun.
  • Options
    a new, more intense position?

So that's the dilemma. Does one who has these symptoms continue to feed the fire by jumping from here to there, or try and concentrate on the ridiculously stupid and mundane tasks at hand.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you bored with the work itself or do you have downtime and don't know what to do with it?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    @ EDU
    The work is interesting sometimes. For the most part its boring networking and security crap, but when I get to use new scanners or new technologies I love it.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cyberscum;

Understand where your coming from experience, myself. Try challenging yourself with learning tools you have available and master them. Wireshark easily comes to mind. A tool I was turned onto yesterday (love this) called: Treesize Pro. Too much fun.

Coursera and Cybrary.IT can both keep me from slack boredom for weeks at a time. Agreed. I simply bore with the same tasks over and over again.

- b/eads
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like watching this guy: Eli the Computer Guy | Tech Advice from the Real World

Talks about random technology topics, I find him entertaining
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well, I had the joy to jumping 'here to there' in various positions because of contracts being pulled etc. That sure helps with the boredom. ha
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Cyberscum;

Understand where your coming from experience, myself. Try challenging yourself with learning tools you have available and master them. Wireshark easily comes to mind. A tool I was turned onto yesterday (love this) called: Treesize Pro. Too much fun.

Coursera and Cybrary.IT can both keep me from slack boredom for weeks at a time. Agreed. I simply bore with the same tasks over and over again.

- b/eads

Thanks for the links and advice. I am going to have to develop a plan and hold myself accountable to it. I seem to find interests with ease, but finishing certs and educational tasks are difficult.

I will ck out Coursera and Cybrary. Thanks again!
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Cyberscum;

- b/eads

Treesize is awesome, and cheap. I second this.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I have never been diagnosed, but have all of the signs of ADHD. I get sooooooo bored of work unless there is some new and exiting technology or project on the horizon. Once I master it, I am again bored out of my mind. I have tried different certs, but get about half way through before I abandon them because I don't see their usefulness. I like IT and even enjoy my job, but struggle finding things to do that I like (even though there are things that need to be done at work). If it is not something new and exciting, I have a hard time staying focused on it. I will literally be doing a task for work and be thinking in the back of my mind, "I wonder about this...What cert would be good for this...What am I going to be doing this evening...etc" and as soon as I find something that seems interesting I abandon the work I was doing lol. Any tips or tricks from people that feel the same way?
    Got to TAC! You will never get bored, but you will also have no life.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jamthat wrote: »
    Treesize is awesome, and cheap. I second this.
    Isnt this the same as WinDirStat, which is free?
    I like watching this guy: Eli the Computer Guy | Tech Advice from the Real World

Talks about random technology topics, I find him entertaining

Im watching his latest video right now! super relevant info for me right now! thanks!
  • Options
    Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Think about how bad life would suck without a pay check. All the motivation I need.

If you are good at what you do then you do not have to worry about not receiving a paycheck. I am contacted by recruiters every 1 to 2 days with new contracts on Linkedin. The key is to connect with a large volume of recruiters and then you will show up high on their search results for new candidates.
  • Options
    Christian.Christian. Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you promote new plans for improvement? Maybe it's an organization that will appreciate someone pushing for upgrades and changes if there is a valid business reason behind it. If not, you can always use the free time for you, either studying, learning something you like (another language, investing, something) or as a last resort, leave for another place that challenges you more.
    CISSP | CCSM | CCSE | CCSA | CCNA Sec | CCNA | CCENT | Security+ | Linux+ | Project+ | A+ | LPIC1
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I have the same problem icon_sad.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Learning excel is also good.

Yes it isn't IT per say as in networking , sys admin, etc but when you can crank out project templates or drop down tables that prefill out forms for you it is so very helpful.

I use it a lot to make switch,router, fortinets, and solarwinds custom properties templates. Saves us so much time and is a useful skill for me.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I have to do something more than a few times I get bored with the repetitiveness of it look for creative ways to automate it.

I love CBT videos and will usually have one of those or a podcast playing in the background while I work on tasks.

If nothing seems to be working for you then it is probably time to move on and start looking for a new job. Once I start looking for a new job again I find areas where I am deficient and start working on those while I apply.

Good luck!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some suggestions

learn power shell

Then learn
    PowerShell Empire | Building an Empire with PowerShell

Do you have any vacation? Take a vacation.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor