Options

Tweeking Linux Templates in vCenter?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I'm new to creating templates with vCenter/VMWare, however I create VMs all of the time.

I'm interested in creating a template, however I'm not sure if I can tweek say partition size. It sounds like that what is set from the template is hard to change. I haven't found any discussion on it online.

For example, sometimes I need 75 GB of space for /opt and other times I will need only say 15 GB of space for /opt, just all depends on the requirments of what is being deployed. I know I can use LVM to add disk space, however I wanted to check and see what I can do from the VMWare Template.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Let's say your template has /opt at 15 GB, you deploy from it using a customization specification and set /opt to be 25 GB.

Try using a one time LVM script to expand the partition, maybe something like https://alpacapowered.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/script-to-extend-lvm-partitions/
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response