Options

Dream job for Infosec pros

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
As a WGU alumni who experienced the pain of their atrocious evaluation process I had a good laugh with this one.
Evaluator, Cybersecurity for Information Technology

Job Description: Accurately and consistently score students’ submissions. Provide robust feedback to students on each scoring event.

https://wgu-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&company_id=16417&jobid=4899

Please, not everyone go apply at the same time so we don't end up DDoSing the site.

Comments

• Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They're also hiring a part-time evaluator for "IT" (in addition to "Cybersecurity IT") and course mentors for many of their IT program courses (Foundation, Database, Networking, Security, Operating Systems, et al).

The course mentors are full time WFH gigs but the positions "do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments independently"

I only had 3 courses in WGU where I interacted with a course mentor:
    1 & 2. Both of my object oriented programming courses
    3. My Capstone

The 3rd one was part of the requirements as my topic had to be approved by the course mentor but 1 & 2 were due to me overthinking the problem. My knowledge of programming was, in many ways, too advanced for the course and the requirements too vague. I had to break myself away from some of the more advanced/appropriate methodologies to demonstrate the requisite knowledge of a lesser methodology.

My interaction with that mentor left me with the impression I knew more then they did because while respecting the fact they couldn't do the work for me their answer to everyone of my questions regarding scope of different aspects of the program was that it was all in the requirements and I just needed to follow it.

Reading the job description of the course mentors, they claim to want someone with an advanced, doctorate or terminal degree but it is clearly a copy paste job between titles.

Anyone currently a course mentor or have had a good rapport with the course mentor and can maybe tell us about their interactions and what the job entails?

Considering my own interactions were limited and rather poor, I wouldnt mind getting some additional information on the role. It might be something Im interested... I could almost certainly teach the Network, OS, or Security courses and maybe even databases (I'd have to bone up on my SQL knowledge again though) but no one says what its like being a mentor.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP