Options

Anyone use Hyper-V on Win10 instead of VMware?

systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has done this yet. Wondering if it's better to go out and buy a dedicated HD for Hyper-V, or buy VMware Workstation 12 (I currently have 11).

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I'm running Hyper-V on Windows 10. I have a Win 10 VM for testing and a Linux VM. I have 16GB of ram and I'm not having any problems with both machines on.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    langfodlangfod Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some tricks I use with Hyper-V on Win8/10:

First thing I did was install the network drivers from workstation (Vmware player works too). Then add the Hyper-V role. You can then create a NAT interface using the VMware network swtich drivers and point a Hyper-V interface to that.

If you are creating multiple VM's using the same OS make base images. For Windows OS's build the image patch it and then sysprep it and save the VHD file. Your actually VM's can be creating using differencing disks based on those images. Have the base image and the VM images on seperate disks.

If you want to work with VMware Workstation or VirtualBox create a boot option using bcdedit (search around for walkthroughs) to boot with Hyper-V disabled when needed.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am running VMware workstation 11 and not 12 on Windows 10. So far so good.