Options

How to view a routing loop?

mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
Using real equipment, how do I view a routing loop? Debug?

Thanks
Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you mean by "view" it? You can always just look at the routing table. Or traceroute etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I guess a better way to explain my question is to see the TTL decrement

thanks
  • Options
    Traceroute would be the most obvious way. Debugs start to get a bit hard to use for this sort of thing depending where the router sits in the path since packets forwarded in hardware aren't going to show in debugs.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're not using RIP/IGRP for your routing protocol, then the best way to create a routing loop is via redistribution.

i would view a case study on routing loops and recreate one yourself.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    If you just want to watch one point two defaults at each other.
  • Options
    Since you guys opened the door, you mean point a default in the wrong direction

Thanks
  • Options
    What he means is point a default to one router, and then on the router you point the default to, you would configure a default pointing back to the first router you created a default on.

Funny story, we used to play games to mess with each other in our old networking shop. Since we used static routes years ago to point everything around the network, I added a x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 route one day for a buddy I worked with using his leased IP at the time back to the first hop his computer goes to. Along with renaming his profile cache with a .old extension. Let's just say he almost reimaged his computer LOL
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wireshark using Embedded Packet Capture on one of the routers or a Catlayst switch with Port Mirroring (SPAN) placed in between. You could also use a dumb hub in between the routers, but those are getting difficult to find.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Is he confusing layer 2 broadcast storm.
    There are no loops in layer 3 since there is routing protocol.
  • Options
    dppagc wrote: »
    Lol. You sure about that? If you're using OSPF or EIGRP as a single IGP, then yes I could agree. Otherwise, it's debatable.
  • Options
    dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Oh yeah I was too simple minded (at least at CCNA level).
    There could be routing loops if there are different IGP and redistribution occurs between them.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    Is he confusing layer 2 broadcast storm.

I have seen routing loops created (accidentally and more than once) when someone decided to use static routes. Routing loops can also be caused when there are multiple points of redistribution between 2 routing protocols. The latter can be easily prevented by tagging routes and checking the tags before redistributing them. You could also technically disable Split Horizon in a Distance Vector routing protocol.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    We did something something recently during a migration we had to migrate part of the infrastructure from EIGRP to OSPF, and did so by redistributing OSPF into EIGRP but not vice versa. Instead, we advertised a default route into OSPF using the default information originate command going to the point of redistribution. Worked like a charm without causing any loops with the way routing was setup. It was suboptimal from OSPF to EIGRP, but temporary.