Options

the "ANDing" concept

MrsCeeBentonMrsCeeBenton Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello. Is ANDing a must to memorize for either the CCENT or CCNA exams?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should definitely memorize all the concepts of manipulating binary for subnetting purposes. You don't necessarily need to memorize the outcome of each as long as you can figure it out rather quickly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I'm not sure what you mean. ANDing is pretty straight forward. 1 AND 1 is 1, otherwise 0. If that seems a lot to memorise, then you are going to have problems.
    If you are talking about subnetting generally, ANDing in itself is just a means to an ends, and the end is to be able to subnet accurately and reasonably quickly. Take whatever approach works, and practice and practice and practice until you can more or less do most of it in your head.
    I think that they do want you to broadly understand how a router uses AND and subnet masks to define subnets, but again that basically comes down to understand that the IP and subnet mask are ANDed together and what the result is.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello. Is ANDing a must to memorize for either the CCENT or CCNA exams?

To Answer your Question: NO.

All you need to know, is how to how to subnet:
    subnetting.net - Subnet Questions and Answers

Do that, and you are good.
    (i am referring to the ccent)
  • Options
    Thank you for your response volfkhat. :) Of course my desire is to learn ALL that I can, however, I want to put focus on the major things I need to know to get certified. I understand the concept (IP address plus all-bits-on address, add up the 1s on the network side, all become zeros on the host side...you get the sub network...), just didn't know if it would really "come up" on the exam. I'm so thankful I learned how to subnet before, but now that I'm taking the class, I know the "why" of subnetting. I will definitely check out the link you posted above because I want to be able to subnet in my sleep!