Options

Want to get into Information Security

dsweildsweil Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I want to change careers and get into infosec. (information security analyst role). I currently have no certs or formal education, but have been working in IT for about 9 years now (3.5 years as help desk 1 year Voip support, 1 year working for a domain register 3 as a system tech, and sprinkle in some odd contract jobs here and there.) I was wondering what path i should take to move to a new career in info security. Should I go for a Comptia Security+ certification or start with the much harder CISSP and become an ISC2 Associate. Ultimately i will go for and get my CiSSP and CEH but i need to get a job in security to actually get a good IT security certification.

I need to get my food in the door to get some real experience does anyone have any advice that can help me on my journey.

Adding...

other things i have experience with, I worked with flashing and configuring router, active directory, setting up and configuring pbx sytems, voip, I have installed and configured IIS, windows server, esxi, SSL, most common OS, removing viruses, created virtual networks. Worked with DNS setting zone records, remote desktop. It so hard to name everything. And is not like I was trying to do everything, there where times i took survival jobs for not much money and happened to learn a lot.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    look up jobs in your area and see what they are asking for.

Sec+ can only take a couple weeks if you really want to get it quick.
  • Options
    dsweildsweil Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx i will definitely go over the security+ info. I have always believed that a strong foundation in IT is the most valuable thing you can have.

You can't build a strong house on sand.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I recommend doing a search on this forum for "security" in the title as there have been numerous threads on the same topic lately and there are already a lot of good answers in those threads. I'd also check out this thread is it's still highly relevant Security certification - where to start?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework