Options

Degrees necessary for networking?

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I'm trying to get into IT, networking especially.

I'm looking for entry level it positions and am currently studying towards ccna and mcsa.

My question is to get into networking do you need an IT degree or can you manage with relevant experince and vendor qualifications such as cisco and Microsoft.

Thanks.
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say its necessary, I know a bunch of network engineers without degrees. That being said, even with a degree it would be pretty tough to land a entry level networking job without any relevant experience. Job postings in my area tend to reflect experience being #1 with a degree/certs coming in at 2 or 3.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Yes if you can get the right jobs without a degree. Some people can, some people can't.
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I would say that you do not need a degree to get a decent networking job. Job experience and certifications are more important. Start in Desktop Support and work your way up.

However, getting past clueless HR people who know nothing about IT with no degrees may not always be easy.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You definitely don't need a degree for networking jobs in general. Some corporations do have degree requirements though
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    I would say that you do not need a degree to get a decent networking job. Job experience and certifications are more important. Start in Desktop Support and work your way up.

However, getting past clueless HR people who know nothing about IT with no degrees may not always be easy.

That's terrible advice if he's one of those people that are unable to move from desktop support to the role that he wants (and you regularly read about people that struggle with that on this forum). Does it really matter if something is possible in general? What matters is if this particular person is of a type that can make that transition, and how easy or hard that transition would be with or without a relevant degree. Statistically, you are better off with a degree, but maybe you were in the military and got relevant experience. Maybe you helped out in your high school's IT department and redesigned that network. Maybe you know some guy that is a NOC manager who can get you in. There are so many variables, but if you're just an average joe with not much going for him, you should probably get a good education. The best degrees for networking are probably EE, Math or CS, with the softer "IT degrees" a distant fourth.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to have one, but I would definitely recommend one. I see a lot of jobs requiring them now so no reason to let something like that hold you back.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, it is necessary.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Regardless of your skillset, certain employers won't consider you unless you have a degree. Additionally, you'll find that the subset of positions out there available to you without a degree tend to be more entry level. Finally, you'll find that compensation for an employee with a degree versus one without a degree tends to be lower.

But I wouldn't say a degree is "necessary"-- I've had a 17 year IT career without one.

If you can get one while working and especially without accruing $60K of debt, it may be a good option. Given the state of education these days, there's a good argument for experience and certifications to stand in its stead.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    About 6 months ago I applied for a job as a system admin, attempting to finally get out of desktop support. The hiring manager loved me and decided to give me an offer right then and there at the interview. Because I didnt have a degree, he said the company wouldnt pay me asking but they would have had I had the piece of paper. That did it for me, right then and there, and I enrolled in school two days later. I recommend you do it. You never know when your lucky break/dream job comes about and the degree is your delimiter.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the best answer I can give is that it depends on the position. If most of the positions you’re applying to have a degree requirement such as, “must have a degree in Computer Science or related field…”, then you will need a degree. The converse is also true; on an interview I actually had a hiring manager ask me, “Why are you getting a degree in I.T., what good is that going to do!”, so as you can see it depends.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • Options
    the best answer I can give is that it depends on the position. If most of the positions you’re applying to have a degree requirement such as, “must have a degree in Computer Science or related field…”, then you will need a degree. The converse is also true; on an interview I actually had a hiring manager ask me, “Why are you getting a degree in I.T., what good is that going to do!”, so as you can see it depends.

If he had asked me that I would tell the guy to go look at a bunch of job postings and notate how many say degree preferred or must have a degree. If he gave me crap after that then I know the guy is just a tool that has some agenda against degrees.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Definitely not necessary in the broad sense of having a successful career. Certainly helpful though. The more you have going for you the better.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My current position at a bank and three previous roles at a telco all required a four year degree.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    If he had asked me that I would tell the guy to go look at a bunch of job postings and notate how many say degree preferred or must have a degree. If he gave me crap after that then I know the guy is just a tool that has some agenda against degrees.

It's funny you say that, because the position I was applying for did say degree preferred, so I'm not sure why he was against me getting another degree, all the while his Master's degree was hanging on the wall behind him, so go figure that one.

Needless to say, but they didn't make me an offer anyways.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Not necessary. I've worked with people who didn't have degree. Some people who didn't have a degree were really good, some were ok. Same thing can be said to the people who had a degree.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will see plenty of threads from people saying stuff like "I have a Networking Degree, but I haven't been able to find a job in two years" and you will see "I have experience but no degree, and I cant find a job anywhere" Since my time in Networking it has been more about who you know, rather then what you have. Experience, certs, and degree all help you land an interview, effectively networking, preparation help you land the job.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's really a big difference with whether any individual actually requires a degree to perform a particular job function in IT versus whether it's a good idea to get that degree.

I tend to always recommend the former. But it's ultimately a personal decision - there are a lot more pros than cons to obtaining a degree these days.

@pujan96 - perhaps a question at you - why don't you want to get a degree? Is there actually something holding you back?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Necessary? No.
    Recommended? Yes.

It will do nothing but help you more than hurt you. Even if you can only get an associates to begin with.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely not necessary in the broad sense of having a successful career. Certainly helpful though. The more you have going for you the better.

Exactly summarized my opinion.

The degree although not mandatory per se to become a network engineer, admin or consultant it is very helpful and give you access to a wider array of opportunities.

If it is from a good university you should gain valuable knowledge. It is something you only do once in your life and is a nice backup to have(you know the street is very competitive and will become more competitive).
  • Options
    It's funny you say that, because the position I was applying for did say degree preferred, so I'm not sure why he was against me getting another degree, all the while his Master's degree was hanging on the wall behind him, so go figure that one.

Needless to say, but they didn't make me an offer anyways.

What a weird question then. I don't understand his reasoning here.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Where I work they did not require a degree. Just experience. Though I got the job (network admin tier 1) because I probably had the degree, lacked experience but showed enthusiasm to learn. They offered me a lot below the advertised pay grade but hey, I didn't have much choice given how difficult it is to break into the field.
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    I think it all depends honestly. Most jobs say something like "degree or equivalent work experience and education". So that would probably be a tech school and 1-2 years of experience, ya know? It all depends on how you present yourself as well. At the end of the day, they will hire you based on how much they like you. There's people with degrees who can't find jobs and vice versa. All depends on how hard you work.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't dispute that you don't necessarily need a degree. But the root question is why not get one? Some of you know that I don't have a degree - it was a personal decision and the lack of degree has not held me back. But if I had a degree, it would ease my own sense of self-worth. I will never ever recommend to anyone to skip getting a degree if they have the means and time to get one.

@pujan96 - I will restate my question - why don't you want to get a degree? Is there actually something holding you back?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not a strict requirement but it's only going to get harder to get in the field and move up without one. Everyone I know of in the field without a degree entered in the 90's when interest would you get in. All have 15+ years of experience and in midlevel positions, one I know is unemployed and having a lot of trouble getting a position, even though he's a CCNP with over 20 years of experience.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)