In GNS3 Where is the DCE and DTE

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
I am experiencing a problem of frame relay interface being down in GNS3.
I do not know where is the DCE and where is the DTE
How can one tell?

Comments

• late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    There are a few ways to set up Frame Relay in GNS3, but the DCE would be the frame relay switch end.

I dont set up Frame Relay often enough in GNS3 to have it memorized, I typically just google "GNS3 Frame Relay" and find the answer pretty quick.

I believe GNS3 has a built in Frame Switch, but I always use a router as the frame switch.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you using a the frame relay switch built-in or using a router? As far as seeing which connection sees itself as what - you can use show controller.
  • davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IIRC, this is one of those cases where GNS3 doesn't work the same as physical hardware. It's going to have either both sides DTE or both sides DCE, I can't remember which one, it's been a while.
  • ph4ntom74ph4ntom74 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you can choose which link is the DTE/DCE and specify clock rates accordingly but keep in mind that this feature does not work on GNS3, i mean, it works because you can configure it but it doesnt really work as its supposed to.
  • ph4ntom74ph4ntom74 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    btw, how can you not see which one is which?
    try checking interface values/frame relay dlci/lmi ???
    dppagc wrote: »
    I am experiencing a problem of frame relay interface being down in GNS3.
    I do not know where is the DCE and where is the DTE
    How can one tell?
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    You can use the frame-relay input-intf dce command on the switch end to set it to be DCE. In terms of what finding which switch is using what end, a simple show interface serial x should work.

GNS3 is a strange one as it will treat both ends at DCE I believe.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle