What was your first IT job, and how did you get it?

usaftylerusaftyler Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello TechExams :)

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am an Active Duty Air Force member who works in the communications field. I'm a Server Admin/Desktop Support troop (temporary augmentee for a shortage of Client Systems guys). I've spoke to my brother about working in the field of IT, he is highly interested, but he is unsure of where or how to start. I figure I would ask you guys what your experience was landing your first job and how you got it. I've explored the forms and used my share of the search button, however I figured I would start a new thread because I feel like a lot of people come on here anyways looking for advice on how to get their first position, so maybe this can help more people than just my brother.

What I'm asking is,
1. What was the title of your first position?
2. What education (College, Certs, Apprenticeships, technical training, bootcamps etc.) did you aquire?
3. What experience (Customer service, Fixing family computers, etc.) did you have? Doesn't have to be formal experience.
4. And finally, was this a "I knew a guy", position?

I look forward to hearing answers, I follow a lot of posts on here and feel like this community is an excellent wealth of knowledge and experience. :D

Comments

• LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I knew a guy.

First, fixed computers and installed crap everyone else was too lazy to do, then did basic pentesting/vuln. scanning.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    My first technical job was doing phone support for DirecTV. I did that for a few years and, in April of 2005, I managed to bullshit my way into a software packaging gig which was my first "real" IT position. That jumped me from $12/hour to $60K/year and gave me the credibility I needed to begin my career for real.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I joined the Air Force Reserve and became a 3D1X1 (like you, perhaps?). Made waves on active duty orders and got picked up by a contract (desktop support/ISSO stuff) after my stint was done on active duty.

Acquired a clearance, A+, Security+, CISSP Associate, CCNA, and 8 months away from a degree. All this since I started at this job 3 years ago.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Was obsessed with computers and went to my mother's work to sit on mainframes when I was allowed to, completed computer courses (back in the day courses were just "computer" without specifics, can you imagine that) and landed as an intern entering information into a console from handwritten paper (what OCR systems do these days) then, after reading a book on Fox DBMS and database design transitioned to programmer, doing FoxBase and FoxPro programming on PCs, then, after reading a ton of materials on x86 processor architecture, assembler and MS-DOS functions, transitioned to x86 assembly programming and since then I'm an established professional...
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Family friend had his own business working as a subcontractor with the L.A. school district. In 2003 he gave me a job building, delivering, and installing pc's.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently in my first role that came with a very detailed title of 'IT' but I'm basically a sys admin. I applied on craigslist and was later told I was the only interviewee out of about 20 that completed all the tasks they asked to perform on a locked down computer on the network, a few of them were tricky. It happened about 2 months after I passed the A+, I had an associates degree at the time. 3 months later I started WGU and gained the other certs since. I had customer service and troubleshooting experience in the auto field.

I feel I'm ready to move on to better pay and experience, but recent projects and near future projects have kind of kept me there. I'd like my resume to be more diverse and that's exactly what I hope to do over the next few months while I finish school. I was really pounding the job boards and recruiters but kind of burned out when I received over 50 calls 2 weeks ago. I've pulled my resume and am just kind of waiting for the right position to apply to or get contacted about.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • usaftylerusaftyler Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    I joined the Air Force Reserve and became a 3D1X1 (like you, perhaps?). Made waves on active duty orders and got picked up by a contract (desktop support/ISSO stuff) after my stint was done on active duty.

Acquired a clearance, A+, Security+, CISSP Associate, CCNA, and 8 months away from a degree. All this since I started at this job 3 years ago.

I'm actaully a 3D0X2 (Server guy, got augmented into client because of a serious shortage of 1X1's on base icon_rolleyes.gif)

What is your position now?
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Father knew a guy who ran a Computer Shop, and when he was looking for part-time staff (I was at College at the time) I went in for an interview, and ended up working Saturdays and other odd hours here and there. Only did the sales for a few weeks before I took over their phones and basic repairs in the workshop. This gave me enough experience to get a contract helpdesk job in a multi-national bank a couple of years later (After College) and the rest is history :)
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    First job was a technician at Circuit City before they became firedog.

I had some college and no certifications.

All my experience was I was known as the computer guy for the block. Just kept fixing everyone's computer for spare money.

I didn't know a guy. I've had only one job where I knew a guy and it was the longest job I've had at a MSP
    (Excuse briefness I am on a tablet)
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Great thread!

1. What was the title of your first position? At first, it was Data Management. Then, the need for a networking person was needed, and I jumped at the chance. I was kind of a liason with the main guy at headquarters. Then, my title was Data Management Assist/Network Admin
    2. What education (College, Certs, Apprenticeships, technical training, bootcamps etc.) did you aquire? AA in computers, then CNA/CNE in Novell.
    3. What experience (Customer service, Fixing family computers, etc.) did you have? Fooling around at home and then what I learned at work Doesn't have to be formal experience.
    4. And finally, was this a "I knew a guy", position? kind of..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I knew a guy

Sophomore year in high school, my friend had a small electronics/PC company. He gave me a job doing PC repair and some sound work (ie, sound for events in theatres/auditoriums). I had been breaking and fixing my own PCs for a few years at that point.
  • v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just started my first real job this summer after graduation.

1. Tier 2 desktop engineer
    2. Associate degree in networking, no certs at the time.
    3. 5 months internship as a sysadmin, and another 5 months internship at a noc for a fortune 500 tech company.
    4. No, I went to a career event in my school.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you consider this IT, then it was at a call center remotely troubleshooting a bank website. Basically just password resets, clearing cache/cookies, and uninstall/reinstall Java. It was $10 an hour and I just applied to it. They pretty much would hire anyone with a pulse though.

The first one I'd actually consider IT (and part of an IT department) would be the job right after. I applied on careerbuilder (I think) to Ricoh for a contract job to help migrate from XP to 7. My Associate's degree, the above experience, and volunteer experience at protonic got me the job. 16 an hour, so while not much, it was definitely better than 10.
    markulous wrote: »
    If you consider this IT, then it was at a call center remotely troubleshooting a bank website. Basically just password resets, clearing cache/cookies, and uninstall/reinstall Java. It was $10 an hour and I just applied to it. They pretty much would hire anyone with a pulse though.

The first one I'd actually consider IT (and part of an IT department) would be the job right after. I applied on careerbuilder (I think) to Ricoh for a contract job to help migrate from XP to 7. My Associate's degree, the above experience, and volunteer experience at protonic got me the job. 16 an hour, so while not much, it was definitely better than 10.

Defiantly the story id like to pass on to my brother. I've been trying to tell him to start off in a call center doing customer service (hopefully with some kind of technical aspect) and work on his education while doing that to land his first job. Thanks for sharing!
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heres my feedback:

1. ICT Technician II at my local hospital as part of our regional health authority.
    2. Had my MTA: Windows Operating Systems cert and 9 months of experience. Also had a year of college education.
    3. Fixed relatives computers and a few friends.
    4. One of my instructors from college put his word in for me for some jobs (he says I'm a hard working student and take my degree seriously).
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was always doing repairs of neighbours Computers, then when I was working as a security officer at a hospital I would do all the repairs of the nurses and coworkers pc for cash.

I Got a job At a technology Store as a security officer and my opportunity cam,e when they was opening a second branch and the boss heard how I would fix printer issues and computer problems at the store. I got hired at the new branch as a I.T Field tech for about 3 months before the company closed down due to bad management.

I worked as a Security Officer for another couple of years while still studying and doing repairs on the side until I got hired as a I.T Assistant expected to start on the 28th of this month.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    usaftyler wrote: »
    I'm actaully a 3D0X2 (Server guy, got augmented into client because of a serious shortage of 1X1's on base icon_rolleyes.gif)

What is your position now?

To be honest, 3D1X1 is the least likely path for a successful career after the Air Force. Everything is client level: no servers, switches, routers, etc. so it really limits anything besides desktop support. I am a 3D1X1 in the Reserve and only work desktop/small ISSO tasks. I am thinking of cross training to Cyber Transport so I can get a TS clearance, though.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    usaftyler wrote: »
    Defiantly the story id like to pass on to my brother. I've been trying to tell him to start off in a call center doing customer service (hopefully with some kind of technical aspect) and work on his education while doing that to land his first job. Thanks for sharing!

No problem. Knowing people is great, but I've never gotten anything in IT because of nepotism, so while that's always the easiest way, it's not necessary.
    bpenn wrote: »
    To be honest, 3D1X1 is the least likely path for a successful career after the Air Force. Everything is client level: no servers, switches, routers, etc. so it really limits anything besides desktop support. I am a 3D1X1 in the Reserve and only work desktop/small ISSO tasks. I am thinking of cross training to Cyber Transport so I can get a TS clearance, though.

I'm done with my 1x1 tour in December :) And yeah that TS is nice to have. I'm planning on using it when I'm out for one of those nice GS positions.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Title: Technical Support Representative I
    Education: A.S. Certificate Microcomputer Repair/Installation
    Experience: None really. I hadn't done anything IT related (fixing computers, building computers, school work, etc) in like 5 years and I had no work experience in IT other than an 80 hour internship from 5 years prior.
    Knew A Guy: Yep! A good friend of mine's brother was a manager there and was looking for a referral bonus.

Unless your brother knows someone who can offer him a job, I'd suggest he picks up the Network+/A+ combo and then apply everywhere and accept any job he is offered at any pay. After about 3 months of work experience, there will be more interested parties and he could potentially look elsewhere if he's not happy at his first job.

Also, as far as networking (professional, not technical) is concerned, you don't necessarily have to know the person referring you. Sometimes, even a friend of a friend is more than enough. Have your brother ask around and see if any of his friend's know people in IT and ask for an introduction. People are mostly interested in getting a referral bonus and are willing to refer you if you can show that you at least know the basics (The certs will help with this). Hell, some will even help you with the interview and coach you a bit so that your chances are better. Believe me when I say a referral bonus is a strong motivator lol. Anyways, I wish you bro good luck!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    aderon wrote: »
    Title: Technical Support Representative I
    Education: A.S. Certificate Microcomputer Repair/Installation
    Experience: None really. I hadn't done anything IT related (fixing computers, building computers, school work, etc) in like 5 years and I had no work experience in IT other than an 80 hour internship from 5 years prior.
    Knew A Guy: Yep! A good friend of mine's brother was a manager there and was looking for a referral bonus.

Unless your brother knows someone who can offer him a job, I'd suggest he picks up the Network+/A+ combo and then apply everywhere and accept any job he is offered at any pay. After about 3 months of work experience, there will be more interested parties and he could potentially look elsewhere if he's not happy at his first job.

Also, as far as networking (professional, not technical) is concerned, you don't necessarily have to know the person referring you. Sometimes, even a friend of a friend is more than enough. Have your brother ask around and see if any of his friend's know people in IT and ask for an introduction. People are mostly interested in getting a referral bonus and are willing to refer you if you can show that you at least know the basics (The certs will help with this). Hell, some will even help you with the interview and coach you a bit so that your chances are better. Believe me when I say a referral bonus is a strong motivator lol. Anyways, I wish you bro good luck!

Thank you for the advice and kind words. The kid is 19 and is unsure what he wants to do with his life, but he has always been really good at troubleshooting laptops and enjoys messing with computers. I'm proud of him for trying to ask me how to break into this field, but I never really broke in, I just signed a dotted line and got some cool Tshirts and a uniform.. lol. Did being a technical support rep help you when you decided to pursue your next job?
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think that's pretty much where we all start out so that's a good sign! I definitely think the tech support rep position helped me with getting my next position, but I also worked hard and started working on my certifications while I was employed there. By the time I applied for my next position at a different company, I had my A+, Net+, and Sec+ and was pursuing a B.S. in IT (I still am actually lol).

For reference, my next position was a Technical Support Engineer at an enterprise storage company.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I grew up with a love for computers. My father has 20+ years of IT experience so I wanted to follow in his footsteps. I joined a IT program called YearUp which is a year long IT training program with 6 months of classroom based training and 6 months on a paid internship.

1. What was the title of your first position? Field Service Technician. Main job responsibility was migrating from XP to Win 7.
    2. What education (College, Certs, Apprenticeships, technical training, bootcamps etc.) did you aquire? Cisco IT essentials PC Hardware and Software.
    3. What experience (Customer service, Fixing family computers, etc.) did you have? Doesn't have to be formal experience. Basic virus removal, OS imaging, fixing families computers.
    4. And finally, was this a "I knew a guy", position? I actually knew a girl. We graduated from the same program and she gave knew a recruiter who was interested in giving her a position. She passed me the information and I had a phone interview. Week later I had my first IT position.

I look forward to hearing answers, I follow a lot of posts on here and feel like this community is an excellent wealth of knowledge and experience.

My advise for your brother would be to get certified (A+) and start off with a help desk position or even a Computer Refresh Technician and continue to build experience/certifications. I had spoke with a number of IT professionals in my area and a number of them do not have college degrees. Although having a degree can increase your base pay, for IT it is not always a necessity.
    "Excuses are for the weak. Overcoming is for the strong"
  • ojenksdevojenksdev Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first position was as a Help Desk "intern". I pretty much spent my time resetting passwords, doing phone support, changing printer toner, doing hardware setup, etc. It was a small IT team with 1 software dev and the network admin, so they pretty much passed anything they didn't want to deal with off to me. It was pretty fun as a starter job to get my foot in the door.

Education - High school diploma at the time. Just showed the guys that I wanted to learn and that I knew a few things. No certs either.

Experience - None in IT, I had some customer service experience from doing telemarketing and working at City Sports but that's about it.

I didn't know a guy.