Options

Packet Tracer Question

bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
After really getting back into studying since I have been busy with school work and finding internships, I'm now really getting to the labs as I continue to keep reading through Lammle's book and doing the labs in there, but for the Hands-on Lab 6.6, I'm trying to add an IP address in the interface of the router I'm using and keep getting this message:

#Invalid interface type and number

I'm not even sure if it's because of the Router I'm using or if it's the switch or not. Thanks in advance! I'm really going into overdrive with all the studying now especially since I finally got the hang of subnetting and have memorized all the different masks, host and subnet numbers and can write them all from memory, in addition to understanding binary for those. That chapter took me the longest to really get but I wanted to make sure I absolutely knew it before moving on.
Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're recreating that lab from Todd's book in Packet Tracer, you may not have the exact interface as described in the book. You'll have to substitute the interface (Fa0/1 vs Fa0/0 or S0/0 vs S0/1) in Packet Tracer. It depends on what module is installed into the router in PT.

hth
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    If you're recreating that lab from Todd's book in Packet Tracer, you may not have the exact interface as described in the book. You'll have to substitute the interface (Fa0/1 vs Fa0/0 or S0/0 vs S0/1) in Packet Tracer. It depends on what module is installed into the router in PT.

hth

Yeah I started to realize that after reading the seventh chapter. I'm changing my strategy because I'm a very visual learner and for these commands, I really need to be doing them and developing that muscle memory so that it will become second nature, like typing. I did take a lot of notes for that chapter but the information wasn't sticking as well as when I had read the others and I think it's because of the hands on nature of the material, so I'm now doing Laz Diaz's labs on Udemy in order and setting up the topology for my files based on what he's doing and then typing the commands as he's doing them and jot down a few notes here and there.

He's been really helpful in getting me to understand how Packet Tracer works, configuring the routers and switches properly, assigning IP addresses to them, and knowing what cables to use to connect the devices together. If I have any trouble, I just pause the videos and do the commands over again until I get them. For any other big topics covered later in the book, I'll probably also watch some of what Chris Bryant has done on those topics first since I've already watched Jeremy's explanations before.

When I'm done with those labs and have some more experience, then I'll go back and read parts of the book again but mainly on things I either need more information on or what I didn't get. Does this sound like a decent strategy to you or would you suggest anything else? I've used a combination so far of watching all the CBT Nuggets videos that cover CCENT topics, reading directly from the book and doing all the written labs and review questions as I go, and now actually doing labs as previously stated. I have my exam scheduled for October 16th but depending on how things go, I may change the date again. I'm also planning to dive right into practice questions after I get all of that done. I'm just not used to chapters talking about all these commands and I feel the need to have someone walk me through and explain it as they do it since I've never really had any networking background before though I'm really enjoying the challenge of doing all of this for sure.

Thanks for the advice.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill