Options

What do you guys think I should do next?

BravoCBBravoCB Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Aloha Everyone,

I am a member of the Hawaii Air National Guard. My career field is Cyber Transport Systems (Routing and Switching, Cryptography, VoIP, etc.) I currently hold a Security+ exam which I scored an 847 on. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Since I am a national guardsman I only work part time for the military, I currently am a cyber security technician at Kauai Community College, and am also a sys admin for the NETLAB+ system we have here on campus. For being only two years into my IT journey and only 19 I feel like I am doing a pretty good job but I want to move on eventually to bigger and better things.

I am looking at a few different certifications and they are; CASP, SSCP, CCNA (Routing and Switching) > (Security), or CEH.

I really do like routing and switching and I am pretty good at it, however I don't know if the CCNA is a smart idea since I will get my routing and switching training through the military. Whereas if I go for the CASP or SSCP, I would move more into an area that interests me (INFOSEC). I would like to experience the offensive end of Cyber Security but with my lack of experience in coding languages I feel like I would be a fish out of water if I pursued the CEH, especially since it is the most expensive by far in comparison to all the others.

I would greatly appreciate any information or guidance anyone could give a young and motivated individual on his next step into the IT world.

Mahalo,
BravoCB

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go with what interests you..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're young and aren't settled down, do what you want to do. From my experience in another 10 years you'll be doing something else anyway, so might as well do what interests you now as long as it doesn't have a dead-end path, which neither security nor network do.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BravoCB wrote: »

I would like to experience the offensive end of Cyber Security but with my lack of experience in coding languages I feel like I would be a fish out of water if I pursued the CEH, especially since it is the most expensive by far in comparison to all the others.

Sounds like you know what you are weak in. I would get your degree (Information Tech related) ASAP as you have the time and money (GI+Kicker).

What specifically interests you about INFOSEC?

Also the GI bill will pay for one cert of your choice.
  • Options
    BravoCBBravoCB Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cyberscum,

I am currently pursuing my degree, probably not as hard as I should be. However, that is the direction I am going.

As for what I find interesting about INFOSEC, I like the technology and theory behind it i.e. Encryption Methods. I would like to be able to predict what an attackers next step would be (which is where the knowledge of the CEH cert comes in).
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BravoCB wrote: »
    I am looking at a few different certifications and they are; CASP, SSCP, CCNA (Routing and Switching) > (Security), or CEH.

I would like to experience the offensive end of Cyber Security but with my lack of experience in coding languages I feel like I would be a fish out of water if I pursued the CEH, especially since it is the most expensive by far in comparison to all the others.

You can read the threads in Security Certifications Forums to get a feel
    Some programming knowledge is essential if you want to do offensive security and be a good pen tester. Check out OSCP threads in there and decide if this is what you like.

To make sense of the different tiers of certs, you can try http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/113328-what-information-security-certifications-should-i-get.html.