Options

IT guidance required for my next step

col1234col1234 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Firstly, let me introduce myself i am from Liverpool, England and i am a recent graduate of Liverpool John Moores University studying computer studies. more info here - https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2015/computer-studies

I have been looking at entry level jobs and decided that my passion really like within hardware and technical support.

So, I have applied for a few entry level roles in the relevant field however haven't had much success due to lack of experience/knowledge.

I have decided that i need to broaden my knowledge to get an entry level job and do to this I have been researching IT Certificates, however with a lot of choice out there I really don't know whats considered out dated, worthwhile or even pointless.

Does anyone have any advice on where to begin? I have looked into CompTIA A+ and a few different microsoft ones.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Colin icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    Hi Colin,

Yes CompTIA A+ is definitely the first certification to go for. It is in two parts and covers hardware in one and software/OS in the other. It covers an extensive amount of material and despite some people thinking it's a bit basic it certainly is not. I read the complete study guide to A+ just to catch up on being out of the IT game for a few years and it really helped me refresh my knowledge. Be aware that the exam is due to be updated in December to reflect Windows 8.1 so may be best waiting until the new material is released. I would really do this before tackling the Microsoft ones. Those are really tough and I know a fair bit of the stuff already (TCP/IP, servers, NTFS etc) from the old NT4 days but I'm still struggling with the Windows 8.1 certs I'm doing now !

Get working on A+ first. It will give you a very good grounding.

Regards,
    Gary
  • Options
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for your quick response, I feel that compTIA A+ is the way to go then, what would be the best way to prepare for this exam? I have seen a few different books on Amazon and a few "boot camps"

With you mentioning the exam changing would this mean if taken before December it would have to be retaken again after December to stay valid?

Regards
    Colin
  • Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Colin,

Welcome to the Forum, I myself are also from Liverpool but now live in the Channel Isles (Jersey). Personally self-study would be the way to go as it's much cheaper than boot camps, You'll save yourself a fortune. Currently i'm doing my CompTia N+ as i'm looking at a career in Networking. I would also recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Guide-220-801-220-802/dp/007179512X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442871022&sr=8-2&keywords=CompTia+A%2B.

I would also check out Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses. He really is good explaining each topic and what's even better his video's are absolutely FREE!!!.

Also check out CompTIA IT Certifications and Exams - Home here you will find out a bit more information on the A+ and what's involved to pass.

Hope this helps...

Rob
  • Options
    eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Colin,

I agree with Kopite, self study is a better way to go instead of bootcamps and CompTIA A+ is a good cert to start with. See if there is a Network/System Administration program in your area, having another degree in the field is always good. You can always pursue CompTIA Network+ and Security+ after your A+.
  • Options
    Hi rob,

Cheers for the advice, nice to another local person here then haha!

Those videos look like a real life saver! I decided to go for the exam cram book as I've heard great things about it, can't wait to get started now :)

Hi Eugene,

Not sure I have the willpower to do another three year degree programme however I have been looking into master courses but I'm not sure what courses would be relevant to what I want to do.

I have looked into both n+ and s+ would these be required for an entry level job or would a degree and an a+ be generally acceptable? But then do n+ & s+ to help further my chances of progressing within a company before looking into others such as the Microsoft ones?

Regards
    Colin
  • Options
    Hi, sorry about the double post.

I have been working hard on my a+ and finding it very straight forward and seem to know most things I have covered so far.

With that being said I am hoping to take the exams within the next two weeks, does anyone have any advice on where to go next? I am looking for a help desk role or a technician role but don't want to stop doing certificates as I am a very motivated young man, would n+ or s+ be suitable or better to look into other options?

Cheers
    Colin
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After you get your A+, you can do N+, then Security+, that will make you well rounded and have a good foundation to go into deeper Networking >CCENT > CCNA > CCNP etc. or Security >CEH > CASP> CISSP etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Hi Danny,

Where would Microsoft certificates fit into it all? Or aren't these recommended?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    MS Certs would build on the A+ (and Net+ and Sec+). So, A+ > MCP > MCSA > MCSE
    Virtualisation is also a good area to look at there's Vmware's associate level or professional level. ITIL is also good to have, and Project management (Prince2 is a good fit with ITIL). If you want to throw some more stuff in the mix, the Linux is an option via Linux+ > RHCSA > RHCE > RHCA

At the moment, entry, entry level is probably A+/Net+/Sec+, and mid entry (entry++) is CCNA/MCSA/VCP. The whole virtualisation and cloud thing is getting bigger and bigger, so it's worth looking into.

If you have an IT degree already, then you might get away with skipping some of the 'entry' certs and jumping in with one or more of CCNA/MCSA/VCP. The best place to look is at online job listings like monster.co.uk and see what employers are looking for.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't like Microsoft certs, something new always takes its place and makes the previous look outdated.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    danny069 wrote: »
    I don't like Microsoft certs, something new always takes its place and makes the previous look outdated.

Seriously? The other thing about MS products is that they tend to hang around a long time in enterprises, so that the older techs are still relevant.

It's not much different to the 3 year lifespan put on Cisco or Comptia certs. Or the requirement to renew/update your ACMT. But instead of having a "current" CCNA, you have an MS cert in a particular flavour. It's still the same treadmill of recertifying.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    yup, just because there is a new MS cert, i.e. 2012, doesn't mean that the company will adapt right away. I have MCITP:EA for 2008R2, and it's still relevant. The company I work for still have a few 2003 servers. I'm not even planning to upgrade my cert to 2012 until next year. The concept is still there, just some new features that we need to be aware of of the new products.

Yeah, start with A+, Net+, and Sec+. Depending where you want to go, network or system, then CCNA or MCSA.